Kona EV

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Sandrae, Feb 7, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Sandrae

Sandrae New Member

Just picked up kona ev. Driving from Calgary to Medicine Hat Alberta and it’s not going to make the drive fully charged ! The cold has affected the battery

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. CJC

CJC Well-Known Member

I'm not surprised as I think that is almost 300 kilometers and we are estimating 20-25% loss of range for cold weather from what I am reading. But come summer all will be golden. Sorry that you couldn't squeeze it out though.

4. Sandrae

Sandrae New Member

5. Sandrae

Sandrae New Member

Turned everything off and made it back to Medicine Hat with 11kms spare. But pretty cold at the end ! Well happy with the kona

Canada Dan and CJC like this.
  6. CJC

CJC Well-Known Member

Sandrae that was cutting it close lol. Good for you.

Sandrae likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Sandrae

Sandrae New Member

Thank you. Goes to show it’s an amazing vehicle.

9. EnerG

EnerG Active Member

Wow that is really close. I wouldn't want to get stuck in any vehicle in Albertas outback in the winter. Well..it used to be outback. It's been more than a few years since visiting Medicine Hat.

Can we assume that the battery warning lamp came on? In the manual it mentions 25k or so of range once the lamp comes on, so did the car automatically start shutting down heat and reduce speed to squeeze out the last few Km?

10. EnerG

EnerG Active Member

This reduced winter range doesn't make sense to me. Assuming you start off with a warm battery pack and are drawing power out of it it should not have that high of range reduction. Drawing power from the pack should generate sufficient heat to keep the system and occupants warm as our Canadian version sport the heat pumps.

I wonder if turning the Winter mode switch off would change the range estimates.

I hope you be repeating this drive under different conditions as it seems like a good metric for future comparisons. Here on the coast our gold standard is a round trip from Vancouver to Whistler and back. I'ts only a few hundred km but it is all mountain driving. I plan to try it but I think I will play it safe and wait for spring or summer.

Sandrae likes this.
  11. Sandrae

Sandrae New Member

With approx 140kms to go , the car indicated 120Kms range , I slowed down to 80kms , selected eco mode and turned the heating off . Don’t remember exact figures but the low power light came on and then the turtle came on, and other warnings popped up , but by the time the warning lights came on I wasn’t doing enough speed to notice any lack of power. It should be remembered that for the first 160kms I was driving at 120 kmh. Medicine Hat to Calgary was always the bench mark and the car made it in the worst temperature I would have attempted , minus 22. As a note. My range wasn’t helped by the dealership under inflating my tires by almost 10 psi after telling them the warning light was on. Loving my kona

CJC likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Sandrae

Sandrae New Member

With approx 140kms to go , the car indicated 120Kms range , I slowed down to 80kms , selected eco mode and turned the heating off . Don’t remember exact figures but the low power light came on and then the turtle came on, and other warnings popped up , but by the time the warning lights came on I wasn’t doing enough speed to notice any lack of power. It should be remembered that for the first 160kms I was driving at 120 kmh. Medicine Hat to Calgary was always the bench mark and the car made it in the worst temperature I would haveattempted , minus 22. As a note. Myrange wasn’t helped by the dealershipunder inflating my tires by almost 10 psiafter telling them the warning light was on. Loving my kona