Kona EV heat & ac on @ the same time

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by HappyKonaGirl, Dec 30, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. HappyKonaGirl

HappyKonaGirl New Member

I’m hoping someone can shed some light on this.
    I’ve had my Kona Ultimate in NJ since 3/29/19.
    When I either press the heat button on the dash or use the app to start preheat - the ac & heat buttons are lit up. That seems counterproductive.
    This also happened last night when I used the MyHyundai app to warm up the car so I could be comfy when I came out of work @ midnight. The app did turn on the system - both of them - so that the car wasn’t warm.
    I can turn off the ac if I’m in the car but using the app - I’m stuck.
    Should I be doing something different?
    Thanks in advance for any help.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

If the windows are fogging, having both on works well to clear the windows.

There is a sensor of some sort that activates this, but I don't know the details.

4. hieronymous

hieronymous Active Member

The Kona provides"climate control", so deals with moisture (humidity) and temperature. Initially, you will get A/C + heating, but once the requested conditions are met (temperature for heating, temperature for cooling, plus optimal humidity), then usually only the A/C OR heating light remains on. If the system is drawing in outside air, and it is raining or otherwise humid, then you may continue to see both lights on...

KiwiME likes this.
  5. I run the car with the windows open all the time ( added visors). In high humidity conditions (90% of the time in these parts) I push the buttons as described in the following post and run the fan high only in the defrost/heat position(no heat or A/C). Takes a couple of minutes but works fine. If it is too cool I can add a little heat with the heat pump to be more comfortable:
    https://insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/air-conditioner.6326/#post-86816

6. mikeselectricstuff

mikeselectricstuff Active Member

AC is used to condense out humidity, particularly for demist. Common on many cars

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Paul DeLeon

Paul DeLeon Active Member

Try adjusting the temperature higher. The app has a setting for this.

9. Same thing happens (heat + AC) every time I turn on the front windshield defrost. I understand that this has to do with humidity (of the incoming air?) but I'm not sure if it's more efficient or not to just turn off the AC (which I usually do).

10. EnerG

EnerG Active Member

The HVAC on this car is a crap. Manual should be just that overriding any auto nannys. When I am overruled by an overzelous software engineer I get pissed off.

The AC does come on when least expected. The heat is not good enough for cold climates. Auto wipers going way too fast, raspy sounding motor...but don't expect an OTA update to fix any of it. Next time it'll be a Tesla because Hyundai is just another ho hum legacy manufacturer who does not give a **** about the customer experience.

11. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

I'm kind of annoyed with the HVAC system on the Kona. In many cases, it seems to be out of control of the user to shut off the AC.
    When I shut off AC and Heater and turn on the fan, sometimes, the AC comes on. The light on the AC button stays off but when you look at the power usage screen on the center console, you can see that at times, the AC comes on. This seems to happen only when it's humid..
    2 days ago, it was about 73 degrees outside but very humid as we had rain earlier. I had the fan turned on and the AC and Heater turned off and I got a 0.5 kwh draw from the HVAC system. The only way to get rid of that draw is to shut off the fan too. This morning, it was not humid and about 59 degrees (15 C) and I was running just the fan without AC or Heater and the HVAC did not draw any power. I wish that there was a setting that shuts off the AC completely but still allowing me to run the fan. It appears that the car will attempt to de-humidify no matter if the AC is on or off..

electriceddy likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. AC is used to dehumidify cars. Most newer cars work this way. Also, you want to bring in outside cooler air (which is dryer even if it wet outside), and moisture will then evaporate more quickly inside as the air warmed.

14. FloridaSun

I still would like to be in control on when I allow it to come one..

15. When running the fan at high it seems the system wants to add heat and/or A/C at intermittent times. I agree it becomes a bit of a nuisance having to monitor the climate draw and push buttons to the off position to accomplish what was once a simple task with mechanical type controls.:rolleyes:

16. FloridaSun

If "A/C" is not lit up, I would expect it not to come on at all. It should be up to the driver/user when to use it. I have no problem with de-humidifying but if it's only 73 degrees outside (22 C), I don't want to cool down the air any more as 73 degrees is the perfect temperature in the car, yet, the Kona's AC system thinks that the AC needs to run because it's humid..

17. SkookumPete

SkookumPete Well-Known Member

Auto defogging can be turned off by long-pressing the front defrost button. P. 3-132 of the US manual.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
  18. SkookumPete

BTW this is a "sticky" setting. No need to be troubled by unwanted AC ever again. :cool:

19. FloridaSun

Hopefully! I also thought that my Regen setting per drive mode would be sticky too but every couple of weeks, it resets to default (level 2 for ECO mode)

20. Correction- the cancel information is on page 3-136 of the Canadian manual.
    BTW I tried this and yes it shows the ADS logic is "off" on the climate control screen, but the A/C light remains on in extreme humid conditions (like today).
    If I still want a combination of heat on myself and the windshield, it will resort back to illuminating the A/C button. So the old standby of physically pushing the A/C button off works (for a while) with the fan on high.
    It is a very confusing system and quite simply over engineered.
    The next step is to cover the sensor input(3 black holes on the left side of the box with the camera and mirror : page 3-135) with black tape and see if that works.

21. SkookumPete

I'll have to check that, as I didn't see the AC come on and I'm in the same "humid" conditions, i.e. saturated.

22. SkookumPete

Before the business of auto defogging the manual gives us this:

Screenshot_20200103-113613_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

I believe the gist of the first sentence is that AC and fresh air are turned on when you turn on front defrost. I wonder if this is the "logic" that has to be turned off (by a magic button combination) to disable automatic AC altogether.

23. It was so humid this morning that the dash display was fogged up. Couldn't find anything in the manual about that one but running the car for 5 minutes with the heat pump only cleared up everything.