Is your Clarity Leather steering wheel showing signs of wearing?

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Teslawannabe, Jul 27, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Teslawannabe

Teslawannabe Active Member

I was wondering how the Touring model steering wheel is wearing. My vehicle has a sort of
    flat non semi gloss finish looks a little discolored in wear areas. Have you found a leather
    conditioner to restore its luster? I'm looking for something that will not make it look that
    shiny look but just well conditioned. I recently looked at some used Mustangs and who ever
    detailed them used something that looked like they were ArmorAlled "Glossy". Ruined the look of the leather.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Our Clarity just hit 6,500 miles today, so we haven't yet challenged the surface of the leather on the steering wheel. I plan to keep my hands in the same place on the steering wheel so as to hide any discoloration resulting from keeping my hands in the same place on the steering wheel.

MPower likes this.
  4. 2002

2002 Well-Known Member

Do you mean you will wait until your passengers exit the vehicle before taking your hands off the wheel? :p

Domenick, Bender, Daniel M W and 2 others like this.
  5. Teslawannabe

The Leather on this steering wheel just does't seem to be of good quality. Feels fine, looks-not so much.

6. Sandroad

Sandroad Well-Known Member

My steering wheel leads a hard life; sunscreen, insect repellant, hand cleaner, and sweat are frequently on my hands from twice daily dog walks in the park. I use Lexol cleaner and Lexol conditioner to save the leather. That gives it a nice conditioned, flat look and feel. To me, shiny leather looks like plastic.

Teslawannabe likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Mowcowbell

Mowcowbell Well-Known Member

That's one thing I wish I had on my base model. The stock wheel is just textured hard plastic. Checking local shops for a good leather steering wheel kit w/installation.

9. MPower

MPower Well-Known Member

Leather steering wheel was one of the reasons i did not get the Touring. Leather and egg salad, peanutbutter, chocolate, meat juice, mayo, ... gross.

10. Teslawannabe

I saw a factory one for sale on E bay the other day.

11. Teslawannabe

Yes, there is always a down side to every thing, egg salad being one of them. LOL.:)

MPower likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

Diss my leather steering wheel, shade my Touring; no problem.
    But attack my comfort food and I draw a line in the sand! I demand satisfaction!
    Meet me on a field of honor of your choosing and we’ll settle this with a good old fashioned food fight. I will cover you in mayo, egg salad, chocolate, and meat, and my honor will be satisfied. (Or I will succumb to your vegan onslaught and retire in shame.)

What? Et tu, @Teslawannabe?? How dare you besmirch the honor of my mother’s legendary egg salad! Take a number and get in line for the next food fight duel!
    (Now if we were talking about that abomination called tuna salad, I would agree with you.)

Last edited: Jul 30, 2019
    Teslawannabe likes this.
  14. Teslawannabe

I'm with you, not wanting shiny leather.

15. Teslawannabe

Thank you, will check into it.

16. bpratt

bpratt Active Member

The leather steering wheel is one of the reasons I chose the touring model. I like the look and feel of the wheel, and after 1 1/2 years of use it shows no wear or discoloration.

17. Teslawannabe

I was referring to egg salad getting on the leather steering wheel. I like egg salad :). As has been noted: the steering wheel has to deal with many different compounds that come in contact with it.

18. KentuckyKen

Sorry about that. All is forgiven. But now you made me hungry for an egg salad sandwich. (The secret is Miracle Whip, a little Durkese, pickle relish, and celery salt.) And Momma says, “No eating in the car!”

19. Sandroad

Sandroad Well-Known Member

And pizza sauce when my son borrows the care. The leather smells of garlic for a week!

Teslawannabe likes this.
  20. Teslawannabe

Yes, and no one use the cup holders, no drinks in the car....yet. LOL

21. MPower

MPower Well-Known Member

You misunderstand me. It's my consumption of these foods and others that I hesitate to mention and the smearing of them all over the steering wheel as the car insists that "STEERING IS REQUIRED" while tooling along the road in ACC and LKAS listening to audio books that makes me eshew the leather in favor of downmarket plastic.

I did not mention drinks because I usually manage to avoid the steering wheel with my tea (I won't burden you with the mental picture of the time I choked with a mouthful, probably it was a popcorn hull).

But then the console cover and seat near the cup holder is a whole nother thing, brown tea drops on beige--fully color coordinated.

KentuckyKen likes this.
  22. KentuckyKen

Sorry about my over active culinary defensiveness. Must have been a low blood sugar moment.

MPower likes this.
  23. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

This $179 Clarity steering wheel on ebay appears to be from a base Clarity. The seller says "leather" for all the other leather steering wheels he/she sells. The description for this steering wheel says "urethane." I didn't see any Clarity steering wheels in the Completed Auctions list.