Interconnected charging networks

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Esprit1st, Dec 14, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. I accidently found out today that EVGo and Chargepoint are working together and you don't need two accounts.

I ordered a Chargepoint card because my new cellphone doesn't have NFC (who would have thought ) and I tried to use it today on a free level 2 charger. Since I have the card (EVGo and blink as well) in my wallet I just held my wallet against the charger to initiate the charge.

It worked and initialized and started charging.

After a while I decided to check the so and I didn't see my car charging in the Chargepoint app. But it showed charging in the Hyundai app. Just because I opened the other apps and the EVGo so showed my car charging.

So apparently the charger recognized my EVGo card instead of my Chargepoint app ...

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

ehatch and electriceddy like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

I thought *EA* and Chargepoint were working on a cross-authorization
    partnership. Well, maybe both are true and it's the leading edge of
    only needing one cred to start a charge anywhere.

I suppose ultimately the right answer is plug-n-charge and having the
    VINs on file, but that might get interesting in some situations like rentals.

_H*

Last edited: Dec 17, 2019
  4. ehatch

ehatch Active Member

As a fellow geek,how can you forget having NFC in specs;) This is good news,there really needs to be more charger integration,and availability status on a network.Check-in in plugshare's not ideal if you're in a sketchy area,and could get robbed.

5. TheLight75

TheLight75 Active Member

ChargePoint is doing a good job at becoming the principal aggregator of EV charge authentication. I discovered a couple weeks ago that I could use my ChargePoint account at EVgo.

If you look at the filters available in the ChargePoint app, you’ll see they have the following networks integrated so far:
    • Blink
    • SemaCharge
    • EVgo
    • Flo
    • Greenlots
    I’m sure EA will eventually show up too once they finish testing interoperability. I really like the idea of being able to use 1 card or app with any charging network.

6. I know! Can't believe I missed that, either.

I like it too. Their so is really good too, showing you the current charging speed. I haven't used it in a non-chargepoint charger yet, so not sure if it will show you the speed of out of network chargers.

ehatch likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.