infotainment screen protection

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by victor_2019, Sep 9, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. victor_2019

victor_2019 Active Member

so I've only had the car a few months and the glass screen is already scratched

there's some fine scratches and some rather big ones. it's not like I have sandpaper on my fingers :(

this screen is definitely not gorilla glass, it scratches from anything.

is there any protector for this screen, like on a cellphone?

Daniel M W likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. jack.

jack. New Member

I'm pretty sure the screen is plastic and it scratches easier than anything I've ever seen. The second week I had my Clarity, I wiped it off with a brand new microfiber cloth and it put a HUGE scratch right across the middle of the entire screen. It was bad enough that I was able to get the dealership to replace it.

I put one of these Photodon screen protectors on immediately after taking the plastic off of the new unit and I've been happy with it so far: https://www.photodon.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Store_code=P&Screen=PROD&Product_Code=2757-01

Daniel M W likes this.
  4. Daniel M W

Daniel M W Member

Yesterday I was talking about that with my wife. To clean the fingerprints we use a glasses cloth to avoid any scratch but seems that this not enough. Mine is showing scratches too.

5. MrFixit

MrFixit Well-Known Member

@jack.,
    Which variety of the Photodon protectors did you go with?

6. jack.

jack. New Member

I went with the "MXO Clear" one

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. I bought a screen protector specifically listed for the Clarity from Amazon (R Riuya) in December when I first got the car. Close enough fit, and I'm sure it reduced sensitivity, but so far it's also prevented any scratches to the actual screen (the protector has a few)

It's not perfect but it seems to work well.

9. Andrew Weber

Andrew Weber New Member

I put on the Photodon MXH and really like it. It’s very clear and barely shows fingerprints.

10. victor_2019

victor_2019 Active Member

it doesn't matter what kind of cloth you use.

I was using a microfiber cloth that came with a phone or screen protector or glasses, but the fine dust on the screen was enough to scratch it.

I think you should not only use a very fine cloth but also use liquid like the one for glasses, so it's never dry dust being brushed on the screen.

11. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

The screen isn't very sensitive to begin with IMO, so your protector probably didn't make much difference in that regard. You were smart to add the protection early on.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. eneka

eneka Member

Fyi there's a sensitivty option in the menus

14. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

That’s the one I bought last year and it was the first one available for the Clarity’s screen size. I haven’t noticed any sensitivity problems. Since the replacement is something like $1,400, I thought it was cheap insurance.
    It comes with installation tools so it’s relatively easy to apply if you go slow and have the screen well cleaned beforehand.
    BB835D1A-00C4-4D7B-AF95-77E992B07EFB.jpeg

15. TomL

TomL Active Member

Same for me. I installed the Ruiya screen protector today. Easy peasy. Cost $12.36 on Amazon with next day delivery.