idle battery capacity loss

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Roy A., Sep 22, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Roy A.

Roy A. New Member

hi, has anyone had their Kona sit idle for several days? how many percentage loss did the Kona lose on on the battery capacity?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. The longest mine sat idle was three days and I didn’t notice any SOC % decrease.

4. mikeselectricstuff

mikeselectricstuff Active Member

It tops up the 12V battery from the traction battery for 20 minutes every 24 hours., but the current draw is negligible. I measured about 30mA avarage draw from the 12V battery once the car has gone to sleep.
    Even once you account for the current used by the DC/DC converter doing the top-up, the loss of range will be minimal even after weeks.

5. Depending on ambient the TMS may cut in , but would have to be severe temperatures (high or low)

6. Well, I will tell you in a week. My car is currently at 42% and the next time I'll be driving it will be in a week. So, stay tuned.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

ehatch and KiwiME like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. 556x24

556x24 New Member

I've had mine sit in the driveway for a week without any drop in displayed range. I would say the range drop variation during driving more than compensates for any apparent change after sitting for a week.

9. Given that each percent represents at least 640 Wh it makes some sense to use the GoM to measure the loss. You could leave it at 42.9% and have it drop to 42.0% on return, both reading 42%.

10. Ok, so I'm back.
    Here is the info: 9 days without driving or anything, the GOM went down by 1 mile, the SOC stayed the same of course at 42%.

Here is something interesting though: just before I got home I tried to use bluelink. The car didn't respond and it usually always does in the spot where it was parked. I tried several times over a couple hours, but it still didn't respond. It works fine now, so maybe it went into some kind of deep sleep?

Last edited: Sep 30, 2019
    ehatch and electriceddy like this.
  11. Or Blue Link just sucks... as usual.

ehatch and KiwiME like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Could be, but it's usually working really good (although slow) for me.

14. So, roughly 0.250 kWh ignoring the GoM's resolution. If that loss was used only for maintaining the 12V battery, subtracting 10% conversion losses, roughly 16 Ah at 14.4 V. For 9 days, assuming a charge once per day for 20 min, that's 5 A of charging current during each event.