Hyundai Kona Frunk

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Rick2020Kona, Mar 27, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Rick2020Kona

Rick2020Kona New Member

Has anyone tried the Frunk that comes out of the UK. Looks interesting.

Sent from my iPad using Inside EVs

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

pics of said frunk? Link?

4. Rick2020Kona

Rick2020Kona New Member

5. Paul DeLeon

Paul DeLeon Active Member

6. daveinca

daveinca New Member

I bought the UK one for my Niro because I’m too lazy to make my own. Whether you make your own or order one, I do think they’re very useful. I fit 2 evse’s, first aid kit, tire gauge, and a few other misc things that used to take up room in the car.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

Thanks! That site is from my native country Austria.. I wonder if that kit would fit in my parents luggage.. They still live in Austria and come to visit me during dry season (October to April), so I could save on shipping. Considering getting that kit..

9. Gsbrryprk8

Gsbrryprk8 Member

Thanks for posting this, I didn’t know about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

10. Saw this on a UK forum. This one is 600mm X 400mm X 155mm. And I have seen larger ones up to 190mm depth that fit in that same space. As it happens, my wife stores Halloween and Xmas decorations, etc. in plastic boxes similar to that, and I found a couple that are that exact size. So if we ever go on a trip and need that extra space, that could come in handy.

But I do wonder if that plastic cover serves some kind of useful role, like channelling airflow for cooling. Looks like it snaps on and off pretty easily, so that isn't a big deal. Any thoughts on that?

[​IMG]

11. Didn't have much to do today, so thought I would see if any my wife's storage boxes fit. And wow, found one that was absolutely perfect, incl with the snap lid on. Hood closes down on top and snugs it up nice and tight so it can't move around under there. It is a Rubbermaid 41.6 litre (44 US qt) and is 23" X 17" (top lid) X 9" deep. A couple inches more length would also still fit. And it is a lot bigger than the guy in the UK had. No mounting legs or fasteners needed, just fits right in place. The original plastic car cover snaps in and out really easily, so that is no big deal either.
    upload_2020-6-14_15-37-11.jpeg

upload_2020-6-14_15-37-41.jpeg

upload_2020-6-14_15-37-59.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 14, 2020
    Kirk, lars2885 and electriceddy like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Must have missed this one, nice job! Just curious, no bolts? So basically totally portable?

14. Nothing,.. fits in there perfectly, and nicely snugged down by the hood and no chance for it to move or rattle. I gave the exact size and label of the actual container. You can put a lot of stuff in there.

Probably get it at Walmart or somewhere like that. And that plastic engine covers snaps right off, very simple and easy.

15. Thanks, that UPC photo should make it easy to find. Wish my old cracked up bashed phone could take better pictures like the ones you provide... someday:rolleyes:

16. TRSmith

TRSmith Member

I'm not an expert, but I wonder, if Hyundai had prioritized making space for a real frunk from the factory, whether it would have been possible.

There's obviously a lot of room under the hood; could the components have been consolidated to make room, or is this one of those compromises with a shared EV/ICE platform that's not so easy to do?

17. RodO

RodO New Member

I also found a Rubbermaid container that fits nicely when the motor cover is removed. It is 1/2 inch shorter narrower and longer than the one that is described above but fits tight with hood closed. Wondering if anyone has left a storage container in for longer trips and if there were any ill effects (i.e. any heat damage to the storage box or wear on any components of the motor? My wife if reluctant to let me make the modification......Thanks

18. While this is interesting and has obvious utility how many Kona owners here have a need for a frunk?

KiwiME likes this.
  19. Well, I bought an EVSE and haven't used it yet. Same with an RV adapter. But once this covid crap is behind us, am sure I'll be using it. Looking forward to some longer trips with the Kona.

20. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

There are times I want to take a drive-to-nowhere, just to get out of the house. Our problem is that we are in a big tourist area, and traffic is a mess. In 3 weeks, the tourists will mostly be gone :).

21. cmwade77

cmwade77 Active Member

Funny thing is I live in the Los Angeles area and one good thing about all of this has been the lack of traffic.

22. I recently brought my Kona in for the service update. When chatting with the service tech who received my car she told me about all the Kona Electric owners that come in loving their cars. Except for one who had major problems with his. She said they installed a frunk and it somehow broke loose under the hood and did significant damage...mostly electrical. She pointed out that the posts that support the plastic cover on top of the motor are not intended to carry much weight. Loading up a Frunk or putting a spare tire in there is a risky proposition. It might work fine, or it might cost you a lot!

Clamps likes this.
  23. cmwade77

cmwade77 Active Member

Yeah, I was kind of wondering about that, doesn't seem worth the risk to me.