How much range does your show after charge?

Discussion in 'Kia Niro' started by Lektrons, Aug 2, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Lektrons

Lektrons Active Member

I just went on a 350KM road trip with my Niro EV and it was great. Before I left I charged to 100% and my dash showed 500KM, I did one charge at a level three to make it to my destination. Once there I used the charger that came with the car to charge it and it took aprox 48 hours, now it seems I lost 53KM after a full charge. When charging to 80%, I was getting 380KM, today was 327KM. Did the KIA charger kill some of my range?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. TandM

TandM Active Member

The GOM (Guess O Meter) reflects how you have been driving in the estimate. So if you driving habits at home are normally slower with lots of stopping and not you are on the highway with a higher speed and less braking, the numbers will reflect.

Also with the Niro EV, the GOM is affected by your destination if you use the onboard mapping system as it takes.

4. Lektrons

Lektrons Active Member

OK, thanks, thats what that is called, I am only talking about the range indicator, not using NAV.

5. MartyDow

MartyDow Active Member

The first time I charged mine to 100% using the included trickle charger, after a short drive home from the dealership, the GOM showed a maximum estimated range of 299 miles! After a week of driving my regular commute, a combination of mostly highway and state roads, with only a wee bit of downtown driving, the GOM showed 285 miles at 100%, reflecting my driving pattern and the fact that I found normal mode most satisfying for me. For my weekly commute, I usually averaged 4.3 miles/kwH until I installed a car-top wheelchair carrier; now I average 3.6 miles/kwH. With 64 kwH usable battery, those constitute a maximum estimated range of 275 miles and 230 miles, respectively. The bottom line is that the published range is very conservative compared to the actual people are seeing...

6. Robert Lewis

Robert Lewis Member

I have a running average of 4.7 miles/Kwh so far with around 1,300 total miles. When I charge to 100%, I'm usually seeing 310 - 312 miles. I haven't driven a full charge yet (I'm charging once/week and still haven't used up a full charge in 1 week's time), but that 310 - 312 range has held pretty steady (IOW, the total miles driven on the charge plus the total range remaining still equals 310 - 312 miles after using about 2/3 of the charge).

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Lektrons

Lektrons Active Member

Ok, so I get it, it's giving you an estimate based on your driving habits. I went on a long road trip and my breakdown was 50-50 eco-normal and that threw my GOM down. After I get back to my normal driving, it should show me a better number, I just like big numbers :)

9. PAC

PAC New Member

Cool. Does the navigation system in the Niro take into account terrain in calculating range similar to the navigation system in the Tesla 3?

10. TandM

TandM Active Member

I think that it does at least to some extent. I have a drive that I make regularly that is about 175 miles each way. The drive to my destination has a lots of declines as I am heading into a river valley, my range always reflects a much higher number for this leg of the drive when I enter the address. The return drive is a climb and the range reflects that.

11. It all depends on the driving you have done up until the charge in question. Your driving style (gentle, aggressive), the temperature, the environment you drove in previously (hilly, flat), how much highway versus city driving. So if you drive gently, in a flat area, in the city, in 25C weather, for 1 month and you charge to 100% you may see 550km or 600km, but if you drive aggressively and do lots of highway going uphill in cold weather, then eventually you may only see 300km, or something else that is low at 100% charge.
    With this being said, I generally show 420km to 450km at 100%, but I usually keep the battery between 20% and 80%. I only charge to 100% for long trips.

12. To remove this ad click here.