How many miles per kwh?

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Mark W, Sep 20, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Mark W

Mark W Active Member

CT
    Hi all,

I'm thinking of leasing a Clarity. In figuring how many miles we will drive in it, I want to know it's EV efficiency. In my 2014 Leaf, it says that I have been getting 3.7 miles per kwh. Since the Clarity is much bigger, I'm thinking it must get less. Electricity is very expensive here in CT, so it's important to me. Thanks!

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. danomite

danomite New Member

In LA, city driving only, some traffic, AC on, I got ~43 miles on a full charge. so...about 2.5 m/kwh

4. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Posters have reported slightly more than 14 kWh per charge. It's not the nominal 17 kWh because Honda reserves a few kWh to protect the batteries from completely discharging or overcharging. The EPA rating (which most posters here find conservative) is 47 miles per full charge. So, using 14.5 kWh as the number for a full charge, 47/14.5 = 3.2 miles per kWh. In my case it would be 55/14.5 = 3.8 miles per kWh. Unfortunately, the Clarity PHEV does not display this information like your Leaf does.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
    Texas22Step and ClarityDoc like this.
  5. Dustin

Dustin Member

If you are getting 3.7 in the Leaf I would expect 3.6 in the Clarity if all things are equal. I prefer the Clarity, but feel the ProPilot system in the new Leaf is better than the system in the Clarity. Most other aspects of the Clarity seem better than the Leaf. From an efficiency stand point, you aren't hauling around a hybrid system in the Leaf if you don't need one.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Inside EVs mobile app

6. Viking79

Viking79 Well-Known Member

The in car numbers can be misleading, as they are only car efficiency, not cost to operate. Need power from the wall.

The Clarity is a very efficient car. Looking at fueleconomy.gov and Clarity PHEV is rated at 110 MPGe from the wall. The 2014 Leaf is also good at 114 MPGe, about the same.

To find miles/kWh from the wall, divide MPGe by 33.7 kWh/gal, so clarity EPA is 3.26 miles/kWh and leaf is 3.38.

Realistically, Clarity might get 2.5 to 6 depending on driving conditions. Same as Leaf really. Leaf has heat pump so might do a little better in that 20 to 50 F temps. The Clarity does pretty well at higher speeds, better than my Volt 1 did.

We tend to assume Clarity PHEV, if you are referring to EV version is slightly better (same as Leaf).

Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. V8Power

V8Power Active Member

I've logged EV km & kWh charged and averaging 3.6 miles/kWh. Mix of city & highway driving.

9. Dustin

Dustin Member

I just went 110/114*3.7 then rounded.... this factors the EPAs efficiency rating with their efficiency... rounded comes to 3.6 for the Clarity.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Inside EVs mobile app

10. Ray B

Ray B Active Member

Today I traveled 39.2 miles from a full charge and now I just fully recharged which took 10.82 kWh from the wall, so it was 3.62 miles/kWh. ~80% back roads / 20% highway (stuck behind a school bus for 10-15 minutes this morning - stop/go for several miles); no climate control used at all. Conservative on the pedals. Moderately hilly terrain (e.g 250 ft climb within the first mile of my commute).

Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
    insightman likes this.
  11. Mark W

Mark W Active Member

CT
    Wow thank you all for the excellent information. It may be smart for me to consider the 15k lease instead of 12k.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. AnthonyW

AnthonyW Well-Known Member

I have been tracking for the past 1300 miles and my overall is 3.85. Best was 4.26, worst was 3.09. I drive 27.4 miles to work each day. Get best mileage on the highway with traffic (limited complete stops), next best is City (full stops at traffic signals) and worst on the open highway with no traffic. The 3.09 low was a 30 mile trip going 55 to 65 on the open highway in the rain. See this thread for some other examples from other people.

Best Miles/kWh and MPGe Competition
    https://www.insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/Best-Miles-kWh-and-MPGe-Competition.2895/

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

Clarity_Newbie likes this.
  14. bpratt

bpratt Active Member

I have also been tracking miles per KWh since February and calculating an average for each month. Here are my results:
    Feb 2.78
    Mar 3.25
    Apr 3.96
    May 4.10
    Jun 4.01
    Jul 3.91
    Aug 4.08
    I live in Salt Lake City and when the temperature was cold in February the miles per KWh was quite low. As it warmed up, it got better until I started using the AC in June July and August.

AnthonyW and Clarity_Newbie like this.