Headlights

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by E-Shark, Apr 19, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. E-Shark

E-Shark Active Member

Hey all, I'm wondering if any of you have had this happen. I've been hi-beamed quite a few times at night by other vehicles, when just my normal lights are on. I do have it set to Auto, but definitely not Auto High-beam. I know this because the blue Hi-Beam light does not go on in the display screen. Then I also manually check and confirm.

I had a car slow down on the highway so it could get behind me and ride me with their Hi-Beams. I waited till it passed, then got behind it and showed it what my true Hi-Beams were like ;)

Are these lights just bright? Are some people more sensitive to lights? Could there be different intensity settings?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Kitsilano

Kitsilano Active Member

Kona headlights ARE unusually bright. Do you have something heavy in the trunk? Or maybe the headlights on your car were set too high in the factory?

4. They are also LED. They have a very white color (high color temperature) and so a lot of people think they are brighter just because they are actually whiter. A lot of people feel blinded by that.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

electriceddy and Kitsilano like this.
  5. popnfrresh

popnfrresh Member

It could be your lights were adjusted too high. My santa fe was unusually low to the point they functioned like fog lights.

A simple quick flash of the high to show them you dont have your highs on usually solves the issue.

electriceddy likes this.
  6. Well, if they are adjusted wrong, that should be fixed ...

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. I'm in my first two weeks with the Kona Electric SEL, which, I believe, does not have LED headlights.

Driving at night is a scary experience on some of our tightly-curving and hilly roads. The throw of the high beams has a sharp upper cut-off. I thought only low beams have a sharp upper cut-off to prevent blinding drivers. There is also a pronounced lack of horizontal beam spread which keeps the destination around the curve in utter dusk.

Has anyone successfully retrofitted headlights to alleviate either of these problems?

9. CJC

CJC Well-Known Member

Sounds like you need to get your headlights adjusted. I tried to find a post where it says how to do it--a screw adjustment but I can't find it.

10. Guess I can ask the dealer about it. Give the 5-year warranty (for original owner) a workout!

CJC likes this.