Green Flashing light below steering wheel

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Chris-Ca, Nov 7, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. I tried to look through the manual but did not find an answer.

When I turn off the car, I noticed a green flashing light below the steering wheel area. It comes on after I turn off the car, get out and lock the doors. It doesn't stay on that long (I think).

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. GPM432

GPM432 Active Member

you got me.

4. davidtm

davidtm Active Member

Do you have an OBD reader installed?

5. Have you popped your head under there and looked (I assume under the dash). Maybe a test instrument left there from manufacture?
    Please post a picture if you find it

6. Well, it looks like it might be an alarm. I didn’t even notice them sticking that in the lease. I don’t even know what to do with it or what it does.

Here’s a video of it.
    Lease shows $440 for an alarm. I don’t know how I missed that.

electriceddy likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Thanks for that, definitely scary enough to fend off a car thief:eek:

9. Doesn't the car already have an alarm if someone tries to get in without a key?

10. Yes it does, I would go back and get it removed along with your $440 off the lease.

11. I truly doubt I have a leg to stand on since it was written in the lease. It was really my fault it got through. But I wonder what this does that the existing alarm doesn't do.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Well it glows green :cool: , if you find out what else it does please let us know. BTW your fuse cover needs pushing in a bit at the bottom right.

14. lol, I saw that too. I had just taken it off to look in it and didn't push it all the way back in. It's good now. :)

15. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

If I had to guess, it uses GPS to track the car position, and reports it by some means. It is a convenient way to find the car if they need to do a repo.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Inside EVs mobile app

16. Probably there for the benefit of the leasing company, and can immobilize your car if you stop making payments.

17. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

We have a friend who was high up at a credit union, and he had all kinds of interesting stories about how people try and hide cars when they get behind, and how the lenders find them.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Inside EVs mobile app

18. You are probably right. It looks like it was required per the lease.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

19. ehatch

ehatch Active Member

Immobilzer ,you'll be relieved they can't take your car off the road remotely, yet o_O Hope you never need to test Hyundai's immobilizer. DDREM would be a helpful part of a driver assist package.

electriceddy likes this.
  20. I second that, but I havn't seen snoring as one of the available voice commands in the list:D
    https://www.telematicswire.net/tag/ddrem/