Flex Steering Mode ?

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Ed Zwieback, Dec 25, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. I just got a new 2020 Kona EV (Ult.) and noticed the steering seems a bit heavy. My Kia Soul EV has Flex Steer Modes (3). I can't find "steer modes options" on my Kona. Am I missing something ?
    So far, I really like the car.
    I do notice a low-level hi-freq. sound (gear/motor?)at low speed. Is this normal ?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. hieronymous

hieronymous Active Member

Have you checked your tire pressures? (tpms or the old-fashioned way) - should be 36/36 psi. There aren't any general forum complaints about heavy steering for this model.
    There are no steering options.
    Electric motors whistle a bit, most noticeable in the conditions you describe.

4. I have a 2020 Kona as well and I have to note that my perception of the steering effort is that its reasonably light even with the current big chunky snow tires installed. There is no alternate steering mode switch or menu setting. I suppose its possible there may be some steering effort adjustment between the different driver modes. I honestly have not noticed. Outside of the VESS sound generator I can't appreciate much of any other drive train noise at low speed. Could it be the VESS pedestrian warning system that you could be hearing as gear noise?

SkookumPete likes this.
  5. The heavy steering is no doubt the LFA in action (can be turned off) and I'd bet you're hearing the VESS. I had the same questions when I drove my Kona off the lot 14 months ago.

Murry likes this.
  6. KiwiME: Thx but I don't know what LFA is.
    I did try the different "Drive Modes" (Eco, Normal, Sport) and that does vary the steering force.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. LFA - Lane Following Assist

9. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

If you use your turn signals, it will temporarily disable LFA. If you fail to do this and attempt to change lanes, it will beep at you and it will pull the steering wheel a bit to hold you in your original lane.

10. Ok; I got it. Hyun. calls it Lane Keeping Assist (LKA). And I did discover the beeping/flashing when I drifted over a lane line without a turn-signal.
    Lots to learn.
    Thx,
    Ed

11. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

It's kind of hilarious to wander toward one side of a lane preliminary
    to a lane-change, and gently fight the LKA's effort to keep the car
    centered, and then hit the turn signal. You feel the LKA immediately
    "release" and let the lane change happen without any complaints.

I only turn it on once in a while, and not where there are a lot of
    off-ramps.

_H*

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

There is a second benefit to regularly using turn signals when changing lanes. If there is someone in your blind spot, and you signal a lane change, it sounds a warning buzzer to alert you to this.

14. Tim94549

Tim94549 Active Member

Funny thread .. I actually like this feature.. When my SO drives, he complains about all the 'beeping' ... calls it NANNY STATE.

This car is SO fun .....

15. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

We once had a rental car that would give an audio warning whenever you exceeded the speed limit. That was annoying.

16. Well, you're in the US and I believe there is no reference to LKA in your owner's manual. Outside of N-A Kona's have both LKA and LFA, where LKA gives you the lane warning (bumpy steering) unless you turn it off every start and LFA is the active lane centering, the latter only present while in cruise control.

17. In the Canadian manual (page 5-83) LFA is referred to as Active Lane Lane Keeping Assist - " provides more frequent steering wheel control in comparison with the Standard LKA mode"