Engine Oil Change

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by cheklapkok, Jul 23, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. cheklapkok

cheklapkok New Member

Hi guys,

I'm almost due for my first oil change, and wondering which type of oil does the Clarity Plug in hybrid require? Please advise. Thank you.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Atkinson

Atkinson Active Member

Honda Motor Oil: 0W-20 (I use synthetic)
    Look for the API certification seal on the oil container.
    Make sure it says "For Gasoline Engines."

4. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

Here’s some oil info I gathered and posted in another thread. It doesn’t have to be Honda brand oil or filter to keep your warranty valid.

Honda filter is a Filtech 15400-PLM-A01, don’t get the A02; it has paper end caps.
    Amsoil filter is EA15K13
    Fram filter is XG7317
    You can use those numbers to cross reference other brands
    0W-20 wt detergent oil with API Certification Seal , do not use additives
    3.5 qts with filter change
    pp 482-485 in the manual.
    Oil filter wrench size is 65mm
    Oil plug torque is 30 Ft/lbs

Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
  5. Alantn

Alantn Member

Ken, would you mind taking pictures of where the oil filter and plug are when you change? Is there anything to remove before you can get to the filter + plug?

6. Akinto

Akinto Member

You don't need to use the dealer for this?

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. KentuckyKen

Not changing anytime soon since I’m 90/10 EV/HV. However I have checked it out since I change my own oil. If you look down the front of the ICE, you’ll see the filter sticking out. You have to remove an aerodynamic cover on the bottom of the car by loosening 8 slotted 90 degree turn screws. Easy peasy. Then it’s proceed as usual for the oil change. Note that you’ll need a new oil plug washer along with the new filter. See p485 of the manual for a picture of the cover. Filter wrench size is 65 mm and the torque for the oil plug is 30 Ft/lbs.
    The Magnuson-Moss Warranry Act in the US prevents Honda or any other manufacturer from forcing you to use their parts to keep your warranty in force. As long as the fluids and parts your use are the equivalent of the Honda brand you will be fine. So you don’t have to use the dealer. You can use an independent mechanic or even DIY, but you had better keep the receipts and document it well since it won’t be in the dealership’s data base.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
    Hi.Ho.Silver and pinrut like this.
  9. Akinto

Akinto Member

10. KentuckyKen

11. Akinto

Akinto Member

The owners manual states on p. 472:
    Inspection and Maintenance
    For your safety, perform all listed inspections and maintenance to keep your vehicle in good condition. If you become aware of any abnormality (noise, smell, insufficient brake fluid, oil residue on the ground, etc.), have your vehicle inspected by an authorized Honda Clarity Plug-In Hybrid dealer. (Note, however, that service at an authorized Honda Clarity Plug-In Hybrid dealer is not mandatory to keep your warranties in effect.)

https://www.honda.ca/Content/ownermanuals/eBizPublication/A/OwnersManual/2017/11/29/5538eee9ea5bf510eee9ea5bf51087de020a____EN_20171129142250.pdf

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Fwiw, never ever ever use POS FRAM filters. A quick Google search will find a lot. Well, the info that is still there, until POS "FRAM" sends their lawyers after the people. There used to be much more damning articles, pictures, etc of the POS FRAM oil filters.

Fwiw, I always use the Manufacture Filters.
    People don't change their oil that often (actually, *I* do :).
    So, spend the extra, and get an oil filter that you know will properly filter out stuff, and not get clogged quickly because it has fewer "flaps" (surface area).

Oil is a very different topic.
    My guess is that any Mobile One that meets Honda's requirements is perfect/fine.
    For engines with turbos, superchargers, or direct injection, they require different considerations for long term usage (over 90K miles).

pinrut likes this.
  14. MZ5

MZ5 New Member

Best-filtering filters commonly available for cars are Fram Ultras. ;-)

Honda's filters are among the very worst available, in terms of filtration efficiency.

15. Just a word of warning if you've never changed the oil on a car before. It's probably smart to get a friend with some experience to guide you through it step by step. It's not hard, but there are some details that could really make your life hell if you screw them up. Overtightening the drain bolt and stripping it is the one that immediately springs to mind.

MZ5 likes this.
  16. Atkinson

Atkinson Active Member

Upside-down picture, but it shows a clear picture of the drain bolt and filter

Attached Files:

Eagle51 likes this.
  17. Atkinson

Atkinson Active Member

Don't forget to document your maintenance items in the official Honda record!

Attached Files:

18. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

That's one fancy oil pan! If you screw up the drain plug, it won't be cheap to buy--or install--a replacement.

pinrut likes this.
  19. Fram Ultra are decent oil filters. But, imho, they still suck compared to GM/Delco or Ford.
    As for Honda filters, I honestly don't have any idea.
    I know GM and Ford.

20. Fwiw, oil pans have been an integral design of the engine block and the stiffness since the 90s.
    The old stamped steel oil pans died out in the 90s, along with most of the older push-rod/overhead-valve engines. :-(

21. Atkinson

Atkinson Active Member

Even the Pro's can screw up oil changes, so think through everything and don't rush.
    There is a Honda video (that is too large for me to upload - 30 Mb) about a new oil filter wrapper that is easier to remove.
    The old shrink fit wrapper was tight and hard to remove, so Honda mechanics would poke a finger through the threaded hole in the filter to start unwrapping the plastic.
    According to the video, plastic shrink wrap would often get pushed into the clean side of the filter depending on how the plastic popped.
    The plastic then got pumped with oil through the lubrication system and jammed in one of the smaller cylinder head oil passages, blocking it and damaging the head.
    The video ends with a shot of the plastic stuck in the oil hole and a message "don't let this happen to you".
    Corollary: Honda isn't paying for damage due to plastic wrap in oil lines going forward.

You can't make his stuff up.

22. MZ5

MZ5 New Member

I’d love to see current filtration data for those two, if you have it. The XG7317 (the one used on nearly all Honda models of the past couple(?) decades) has outstanding filtration efficiency even at 10 microns. I can PM the data if you’d like. Particle counts also are significantly lower than new oil after a modest run on the 7317.

Johnhaydev likes this.
  23. Young J Kwak

Young J Kwak Member

I get my full synth from walmart (valvoline or castrol - whichever is one sale).

As for filters, I have used Purlators for many years, and they are very reasonable for cost vs filtration performance (I usually get the PureOne).

PBL14610 / PL14610 / L14610 / A31426

Currently have a Pilot and now a Clarity - both will get the same loving treatment.
    And they Both take the SAME Filter!!! ^_^

David A likes this.