Electric water pump recall

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by TheLight75, Dec 26, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. TheLight75

TheLight75 Active Member

I just got a call from my dealership to schedule my Kona for an electric water pump case replacement recall.

Has anyone else been notified on this recall?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Mentioned recently on the UK forum, only to certain production dates:
    https://www.speakev.com/threads/water-pump-recall-fyi.145425/#post-2749081
    On this forum, 1 case of a cooling issue so far but OP has not reported back with the fix since July:
    https://www.insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/motor-and-cooling-pump-problems-at-5k-miles.6248/

TheLight75 likes this.
  4. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

Just checked my VIN at hyundaiusa.com and there are no open recalls for my VIN..

5. I just got the work done on it today. It took them about 3 his to get it done. An aside, if you need the brake noise fixed, see if you can get it done at the same time.

6. Here is the TSB that I found for those interested

Attached Files:

Devhead and electriceddy like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Thanks for the TSB info- where did you find this?

9. Public library auto repair database has these for 2019 Kona EV now

10. Here you go sir, this should work for you

https://virl.bc.ca/learn/research/diy/

Auto repair source

You have to be a library member but most public libraries have these databases, super helpful information and always free with your library card!

Last edited: Dec 29, 2019
  11. To remove this ad click here.

12. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

It only works if you are a library member.

13. My library in the US doesn't offer this service. Would it be possible for you or someone else on this thread with access to the TSBs to summarize the main ones for the Kona Electric?

14. So far that's all I see that shows up for the Kona EV in particular, I check now and then so will post if I see more, the database is really new

15. Stopped by the dealer today and my Dec 22/18 manufacture date Kona is included in the 19-01-036H TSB for the EWP(s), so be good idea to get yours in if close to that build date.
    The Techs are aware of the recent campaign however I had to show them that there are two o rings to be changed (one for each pump- Electrical devices EWP and Battery EWP). This part is one they will order and stock, but the pumps themselves or the wiring harness -no .
    The procedure is to change the o rings and do an inspection at that time to see if any coolant has leaked into the case or further into the electrical wiring harness connector. If that is the case the pump(s) will have to be ordered and the wiring harness assembly if also affected.
    I am hoping that mine has not leaked yet and a simple o ring replacement on both pumps will solve the issue.
    I was advised that the job will take close to 4 hours (this is their first one) but once they get good at it -more like 2 hours.
    Booked in for mid-January, will keep advised.

16. Took in my Kona yesterday and of course only one replacement unit was there (can case kit- 36910-OE659QQH).
    So I asked the tech, which of the two pumps they were going to work on:
    The electrical devices EWP 36910-OE650QQH
    https://www.hyundaipartsdeal.com/genuine/hyundai-ewp-assy~36910-0e650.html?Make=Hyundai&Model=Kona+Electric&Year=2019&Submodel=&Filter=()&Location=motor/electronic_control,,36900
    or the Battery EWP 375W5-K4000QQH
    https://www.hyundaipartsdeal.com/genuine/hyundai-water-pump-assy-electric~375w5-k4000.html?Make=Hyundai&Model=Kona+Electric&Year=2019&Submodel=&Filter=(01=W5;02=ZG;03=Z;04=7;05=Z;DT=L;WT=2)
    The answer was to get another kit (same part# 36910-OE659QQH) and they will do both at the same time - next week, rescheduled.
    My question is where is the physical location of the 37W5-K4000QQH? I looked under the hood and could only see the electrical devices unit behind the rad mid center area? Can anyone with service manual access show the location so I can point it out to them?
    Also if the same kit is the mutual repair remedy (same kit -can case and new o-ring with the white marking as in the TSB) the pumps must look identical.
    For reference the EWP shop manual instructions are located as follows
    Electrical devices EWP - Manual : AE EV/Motor system/Motor Cooling system/Electric water pump (EWP)
    Battery EWP - Manual : OS EV/Cooling system/Electric and High Battery Cooling system/ Electric water pump (EWP)
    Help would be appreciated, thanks:rolleyes:
    Edit : if posting the service manual location picture wont work a description of the location would at least get me started.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
  17. Found it, right behind the power unit.
    upload_2020-1-12_15-18-33.png

electriceddy likes this.
  18. Thank you Sir ! That would explain why I couldn't find it. Looks like the same style pump so the second identical repair kit will probably work. Apparently I had it backwards- the battery pump is behind the front rad and the electrical devices pump is hidden behind the EPCU.
    I will have a look in the morning:)

19. Note that the one in the photo labeled BMS is supposedly for the battery. Here is the one at the front:
    upload_2020-1-12_23-20-20.png

electriceddy likes this.
  20. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

I wonder why there are no recalls on the US model yet.. Did they use a different pump?

21. Had a look and yes there it is; low and buried in behind the EPCU. Even a Leprechaun couldn't change the BMS water pump from the top. I am sure the service techs will be thrilled with the fact that the bottom cover will have to be removed to access for the replacement kit. (I notice Hyundai allows the same time to replace the can case kit for both pumps.) 1.8 H each.
    Make sense now that the BMS pump is located here and the Electrical Devices pump is at the front.

22. I'm surprised that the design, which appears to be a magnetic-drive type pump rather than shaft drive, allows a fault to leak coolant into the winding housing rather than the exterior.

The TSB applicability seems to be 2019 Kona and Ioniq, whatever "2019" means in terms of VINs and manufacturing dates.