Drive System locked up ?

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Ed Zwieback, May 6, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. I was driving slowly (25 mph) in my neighborhood, with my bike sticking out of rear hatch for short trip home, and the hatch was open. I had all sorts of audible/visible display of open-hatch. I had to stop at a crosswalk with the brake pedal. When I stepped on the power pedal to go, No-go. Car did not move. I went thru the drive buttons; P, D..., with my foot on the brake, then foot back to power-pedal still No-go, with cars behind me honking horns. Finally, don't know how, I may have recycled the power, Kona got moving again.
    I welcome any ideas on my problem.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. hieronymous

hieronymous Active Member

What you experienced, is what the car is designed to do, prevent you driving with the hatch open.
    So, just stop doing it, easy fix...

4. No, works great. I recently had to transport some 4×4 that were too long to fit in the car. They sticked out a few inches. It's about a 4 mile drive home from Lowes with a few stop lights. I had no problems at all driving with the hatch open.

You get lots of beeps, but they stop after a while. Then they start again when you stop at a stop light. But the car was driving just normal.

5. Have a search and read the owner's manual under EPB (electronic parking brake). I've had this happened when I tried to reverse with the driver's door open and seat belt off.

upload_2020-5-7_11-57-57.png

Last edited: May 6, 2020
  6. Well, that might just be the case. I didn't use one pedal driving because I was driving extremely careful (didn't want to 4×4's puncture my entertainment screen), so I used the brake pedal. Seems like it's not activating the EPB in that case.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Seems kind of crazy reasoning why the EPB would lock up using one pedal driving as opposed to using the foot brake when the rear hatch is open and driving.
    I know a couple of times I have been alerted to the fact that it comes on while the drivers door is open (checking distance from curb while parking for instance) at low speed (surround cameras would be a nice addition like the Leaf), but the open rear hatch seems redundant.
    It would be nice to be able to bypass these safety systems by use of a push button, even if it were set as a one time/ temporary situation like the VESS switch on EU models.

Esprit1st likes this.
  9. Certainly the title of thread is way out of proportion to what actually happened.

10. Thanks for all the info. I too have hauled some long items locally with the hatch/liftgate open and was OK with careful driving. But this time, I must have used the paddles (one pedal driving ?) or had the AutoHold ON.

KiWiMe has displayed some good info from the Owners Manual. I checked my 2020 owners manual and the 2019 manual I downloaded, but I can't find this info. Where in the manuals ?
    I did find 7-pages (5-30- to -36) on the EPB and: "it's not my father's parking brake". Lots of tricky combos to cause trouble, and I'll have to study that system.

11. Search for "EPB" in the PDF. There are heaps of conditions around setting and releasing, nevermind it automatically setting itself.
    There is a Canadian one here, I use the Euro version for my Irish-spec Kona, which might be the same or slightly different.

12. To remove this ad click here.