Disappointed

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Sandrae, Aug 22, 2019.

1. Sandrae

Sandrae New Member

So my husbands new kona EV started to make a noise. Took it in to get checked and although nothing can be found Hyundai are putting in a new gear box !!!

2. sosmerc

sosmerc New Member

Sorry to hear, but keep us posted because the way Hyundai handles issues is going to be very important to many people thinking about a new EV. (me especially).

3. Sandrae

Sandrae New Member

4. Sandrae

Sandrae New Member

Will do. Everything else is amazing.

5. electriceddy

electriceddy Well-Known Member

Mileage and manufacture date (inside drivers door frame) ?
    Hope it fixes problem.

XtsKonaTrooper likes this.
  6. Sandrae

Sandrae New Member

7. Sandrae

Sandrae New Member

14,000 kms
    Date of manufacture December 31st 2018
    Picked it up in early February

8. electriceddy

Thanks for that. I was trying to see if there is a correlation in the production runs of defective materials/parts. Looks like I will be experiencing the same once my mileage increases. Presently I am at 4113 km with manufacture date of Dec 22/18. I also received delivery Feb 25/18.
    Not what I was hoping for.:( what was the first indication of an issue?

9. styx66

styx66 New Member

Nothing can be found but they're putting in a new transmission? I feel like there's more info to be had here...

10. Stickyman

Stickyman New Member

The question I am sure we all have is what was the perceived issue? Was it the hissing that I have read about/experienced intermittently? Grinding noises or sensation?

11. MLKFLOT

MLKFLOT New Member

12. MLKFLOT

MLKFLOT New Member

Hi guys, this is Sandrae’s hubby.
    I noticed a transmission noise about three weeks ago, once it was warmed up and on acceleration. No biggy but it was beginning to bug me!! Last week, coming back into town, I noticed a clicking sound at low speed (pulling away from traffic lights). The faster I went it then changed to a low rumble, then at 50km/h became the transmission whine I’d noticed before.
    I immediately took it in to the local dealership, a mechanic accompanied me while I demonstrated the issue. When they hooked up the diagnostic equipment everything checked out, so they contacted tech support ‘hytech’, who told them to replace the ‘gear reducer’, which my dealership said was the Gear Reduction Assembly. I’m now waiting for the assy to arrive.
    Hope this has answered some of your questions.

electriceddy likes this.
  13. MLKFLOT

MLKFLOT New Member

The dealership told me it was safe to continue driving however, the most I will push it is my daily commute of 100km. I have a 1000km road trip next weekend, unfortunately I won’t risk using the Kona

electriceddy likes this.
  14. electriceddy

Thanks for that detailed info. Sounds like a good/diligent dealership to deal with. Who is your dealership?. I don't mind referring mine as they have been excellent so far with 2 separate issues and information-advice.
    https://www.wheatonhyundai.ca/

15. Everwary

Everwary New Member

I have a 2019 Kona EV Ultimate, just over 4000k. It has been making a clicking noise with deceleration for about 2000k. This is getting worse and sometimes it even sounds like it occurs when I first accelerate. I am taking in into Hyundai this week. I thought it was a typical CV/KONA sound until I had another Kona owner drive it today and he shared that his Kona did NOT make this same sound.. thanks Glenn. Will share what they find and how they deal with it.

16. electriceddy

Is it drive train or this?
    https://insideevsforum.com/communit...-the-rear-at-low-speed.4983/page-2#post-62925