Decided to test the efficiency difference between L1 and L2 charging

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by AndysComputer, Mar 21, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. AndysComputer

AndysComputer Well-Known Member

I've seen a few people ask how much money Level 2 charging saves so I decided to use our Mini to answer that:

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

Great work on the analysis! Do you think the numbers would be slightly more favorable for Level 2 if the SoC went to actual 100% as there should be more wasted energy (standby losses) when going above 80% SoC? I'd expect Level 1 to lose more due to the increased charge time.

Edit: With the provided L2 EVSE for 2023 models, a $400 NEMA 14-50 socket is still worthwhile! Especially for regions with $0.30+/kWh!

Last edited: Mar 21, 2022
    AndysComputer likes this.
  4. AndysComputer

The dollar amounts for a charge are slightly higher than I calculated as I didn’t allow for the cell balancing that occurs at the top of the pack, but percentage wise it’s small enough to not affect the conclusion.

In the areas of the country with more expensive electricity, say 30c like you said, and a short and cheap run to the electrical panel, it could be worth paying for a NEMA 14-50 socket if the car includes an L2 EVSE, as you’d make it back in about 30,000 miles.

It’s all very situation dependent, especially with state incentives, but for most people, I think the main reason to go L2 remains the charging speed and any money back against that is just a bonus.

TripleD and teslarati97 like this.
  5. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    Canadian dealers have been offering a Grizzl-E Classic voucher throughout the month of March, but there’s a charger included now?

6. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

It will be a MINI flexcharger 120V/240V that can plug into NEMA 14-50 for Level 2. I doubt the Grizzl-E will be bundled in the near future. Prior to that was the 15A MINI Level 2 charger during 2021 but that's only rated for 3.6kW (half speed).

Level 2 charging at home really relieves a lot of range anxiety pressures for MINI Cooper SE daily commutes and helps with multiple EV households.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2022
    SameGuy likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    Oh wow. I got a quote from an electrician to do the final connection of a 14-50 for the garage in anticipation of getting the Grizzl-E (I can do the rough-in of the 6/3 and receptacle), and it was fairly reasonable. Perhaps this is the deal for Canada as well, succeeding the Grizzl-E promo that ends on March 31?

9. JZ99

JZ99 Member

My average with 10A L1 is 61%, 16A L2 87%. That's a 43% improvement. The L2 charges ~4.5x faster, due to higher voltage, higher current, and higher efficiency.

Schumacher 16A L2 charger for $150 at NAPA. Simple outlet installation. $30 for a breaker and outlet. A bit of spare 12/2 from my basement stock.

This will pay for itself in a year.

I was also measuring 5% loss from the breaker to the outlet with L1. This will roughly halve at 240V. I also changed to a short run, close to the breaker, so it should now be negligible.

10. AndysComputer

There's a lot to be said for DIY!

Surprised you get as low as 61% on L1 though, I'm at roughly 83% on 32A L2, and 72% on 15A L1.

11. JZ99

JZ99 Member

The only times I got better than 70% on L1 was when terminating below 100%. My best ever L1 was from 6% to 74%, with efficiency of 76%. I consistently get in the 50%s charging from 90-100%.

Also, I see some correlation between charge quantity and efficiency. More charge is more efficient. We tend to use it for relatively short trips.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2022
    zellsun likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.