dashcams

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by dheatherly, Nov 20, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. dheatherly

dheatherly New Member

Anyone have any advice on a dashcam - and placement - that doesn't interfere too much with line of sight for both driver and passenger? The area around the rearview mirror is taken up with Kona's electronics - anyone come up with a creative solution to mounting? Just asking before the hopeful black Friday Amazon deals...

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. blakehaas

blakehaas Member

A119 front and back.

Attached Files:

electriceddy likes this.
  4. To remove this ad click here.

5. blakehaas

blakehaas Member

I used a hardwire kit for the A119 directly into fuse box with a add a fuse. It's wired into a spot that only gets power when the car is turned on.

6. For whatever its worth I have probably installed close to a dozen cameras for family in recent past and have had much better luck with the Korean dashcams from thinkware, blackvue vs the Chinese manufactured. That said the Chinese viafo's seem to have great reviews. Also look for camera's with capacitor backups vs lithium batteries. The small lithium batteries seemingly have no battery management and tend to fail within a couple of years in our extreme heat/ cold cycling in Canada.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
  7. Gjpzee

Gjpzee Member

Francois likes this.
  8. dheatherly

dheatherly New Member

Picked up the A119v3 based on recs from here. Also FYI - if you run it through the fuse box you'll want to look for micro 2 fuse taps.

My question is - what are people using to mount to the plastic bit behind the rear view mirror. I tried the included 3m tape and it keeps falling off.

9. To remove this ad click here.

10. Make sure you wipe the plastic with some alcohol and heat up the 3m tape with hairdryer or even your car vent on high heat.

11. dheatherly

dheatherly New Member

Also just to add to this thread if someone later is searching about dash cams - there is a small plastic cover that hides a chanel from the top of the windscreen to the arm of the rearview mirror. That cover can be removed (pretty easily) to hide the cabling for the dashcam if you mount it behind the rearview. Also - heating the 3M tape for a few seconds and wiping the contact surface with alcohol seems to have done the trick. Thanks all.

12. Paul DeLeon

Paul DeLeon Active Member

I mounted the dashcam to the right of the mirror. Ran the wire easily behind the window insulation and side door insulation an across beneath glove box. Then just plugged into a splitter itself plugged into the cigar lighter.

electriceddy likes this.
  13. Same model (A119v3) ?

14. I finally installed my 4K Thinkware u1000 front and rear cameras with 256 Gig microSD card.
    [​IMG]

I also opted for the optional radar unit for the camera that senses approaching people and vehicle sized objects during parking surveillence, it basically facilitates energy efficient pre parking event surveillance recordings.

[​IMG]

Power to the dual cameras for continuous and parking mode surveillance is supplied by a lithium cellink neo battery mounted in the glove box. The cellink neo battery recharges only while the vehicle is running via a hardwired micro piggyback adapter to the fuse panel. Basically with the aid of the radar unit and external battery it allows for several days of parking surveillance if required and it will never run down the car's 12 volt battery. Still have to tidy the wires, excuse the mess.

[​IMG]

Quick video, this nighttime video is not the best and clearly I have not optimized its 4K recording capabilities yet but the new upgraded low beam HID lights look good though :)

E-Shark and Darcchipmunk like this.
  15. Any ideia of the fuses I should use for having the parking mode? I want to use a tap a fuse solution.