Current Mileage and any noticable issues?

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by doggyworld, Oct 24, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. doggyworld

doggyworld Active Member

Just was wondering what other people's Kona's mileage are at and if they are seeing issues with them. Might help to track down when certain issues pop up or when to look for them. We just got our Kona the end of September, so we don't have many miles, but my wife will be putting approx 3000/month on it so it'll probably hit higher mileage than most other Kona's.

Current Mileage: 2400 miles
    No issues so far.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. TheLight75

TheLight75 Active Member

None whatsoever. :) I do about 2,500 miles/month myself.

Current Mileage: 11,021 miles
    Build Date: Jan 19, 2019

4. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

11750 miles since 6/28/2019. I drive 3000 miles per month.
    No issues and no noticable battery degradation. I fast charge about 3 times per month.
    There are minor software flaws like regeneration level resetting to default occasionally but other than that, no issues.

5. I have had no significant issues with the car other than the two minor annoyances listed below

I had collision avoidance light come on when no other vehicles with in 1/4 mile on the freeway.
    Also the regen level reset once by itself.

Mileage 3772
    build date 3-6-19

6. KonaKen63

KonaKen63 New Member

Purchased March 2019.

Just turned 40,000mi.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. doggyworld

doggyworld Active Member

Update:

Purchased Oct 2019
    Current Mileage: 54,000 miles (almost out of warranty)
    Battery replace around 36k miles

Haven't had any issues with the car at all. I do wish we had faster DC charging. :)

9. bubz

bubz New Member

I know this is an old post but I’ll update anyway.

2022 Kona ev limited trim. Drove it home new on 6/28/22.
    As of 8/30/22 currently at 2,801 miles.

1) 7/13/22 12v battery died and was replaced under warranty.
    2) 8/12/22 the vess system failed. Appointment for 9/16/22 to have it looked at and possibly replaced.

Saga TBC

electriceddy likes this.
  10. That is an unusual one, first one I have heard failing...enjoy the silence:)

apu, bubz and Fastnf like this.
  11. So I will up date my mileage. 2019 Kona Limited 16847 miles as of August 30, '22. No issues with over 3 years of enjoyable electric driving. Battery replaced 12-21 (by recall, Old battery had no issues)

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. bubz

bubz New Member

Right? Who woulda guessed that one???

I am enjoying the silence and to be honest I can’t stand the dang thing.

But unfortunately I live in NY and the governmental landscape here is generally brain dead with deaf ears. I only want it fixed because I can foresee my state passing DMV inspection regulations where if the vess is non-functional, the car would ultimately fail DMV inspection. Plus it should be fixed as the car is only a bit over a month old and should be covered under warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

electriceddy likes this.
  14. Karl C.

Karl C. New Member

My 2019 Kona had the battery replaced last year. The old battery never had a problem. The new battery stopped charging in mid July and has been sitting at the dealer waiting for it’s third battery.

15. Ouch!!

16. bubz

bubz New Member

Just updating:

9/16/22
    Had to cancel due to family health issues. Rescheduled for 10/10/22.

10/12/22 they called me with diagnosis, ordered parts and told me should be ready by Wednesday. The dealer replaced the VESS and the associated wire harnesses. Connectors were bad and looked like arch corrosion.

10/17/22
    Got the car back a head of schedule. everything is working as it should. 5,033 miles on the clock.

KiwiME likes this.
  17. 2021 with approximately 30,000 km. No significant issues.
    A few of the warning things come on for no reason every once in a long while (e.g., warning of phantom car in blind spot, or in front of me). But those are few and far between and really don’t concern me - better than not warning about a real car!

Frankly, it confirms my approach to never completely trust these new-fangled gizmos. (And maybe that I should wash the car more.)

18. bubz

bubz New Member

** 1 year update **

1 year, 18,510 US miles on the clock.
    the only problems I’ve encountered are stated above.

Keep on keeping on.

electriceddy and KiwiME like this.
  19. Maple

Maple Member

2020 Kona 55000km no any issue. Maintenance cost 0

20. 80,000km no major issues. Range has actually improved - I suspect a software update did it. I charge to 100% whenever I need to, but the majority of the time its 80%. 12V battery needed replacement this spring for $200. OEM nexen tires wore out very quickly. Got my very first door ding last week. Bummer. Windshield cracked from a rock thrown up by a truck (thanks Kodiak hauling) and would have cost $1200 to replace but with insurance only $200. I take good care of Knoa and he still looks new and very shiney (thanks to Chris Fix car detailing videos on youtube). Mrs. CO2-less likes driving the Kona over any of my previous cars that were either too low or too high (sorry honey). Overall I am very happy. Will consider a Kona EV again when Knoa gets older.

21. 6,800 miles and 5 months. It's been sitting at the dealer for about one whole month because it won't accept a charge from any source.

Apparently the onboard charger was replaced, but that didn't correct the problem. I was supposed to get it back this past week, but no. Bluelink shows SOC unchanged.

Driving a rental white whale (Toyota Camry) the dealer is paying for, since I need to travel out of state.

We love the car, just not happy that it's not working and not repaired.

22. After 66 days, I have the car back. After replacing the OBC and still failing, this time without a code, the same continuity test (C14 pin 3 to 4) failed when it was OK before replacing the OBC. Both the wiring harness (which includes the charging connector) and OBC were then replaced, and now everything works.

This seems to have been a rather unusual failure as I haven't seen any mentions online of anyone having to replace this wiring assembly.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2023
    electriceddy likes this.
  23. Thanks for getting back to us, always good to know what was replaced. Some have had to replace this assembly because the plug lock failed, at least in the Type 2 version.

Just in case anyone has forgotten to memorise the schematics, C14 is the J1772 charge port and pins 3 and 4 are the CP and PP signalling wires that go to the OBC, inside the upper orange cable here.

T2 charge port and cable assy.jpeg

mtd likes this.