Cruise speed vs trip speed

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by bwilson4web, Jul 9, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

With the charging curve, I put together a Standard Range Plus Model 3 sheet to predict the trip time (i.e., block-to-block speed) as a function of distance between SuperChargers and the cruise control set speed. According to the model:
    • 85.7 mi - Athens AL to Brentwood TN distance
    • 73 mph - Traffic Aware Cruise Control speed
    • 60 mph - trip speed
    [​IMG]
    So I took a round trip Athens AL to Brentwood TN and back. It wasn't a perfect benchmark:
    • Arrived at Athens with 25% SOC, more than the 10% target.
    • Arrived at Brentwood with 4% SOC, less than the 10% target.
    • Brentwood has a higher speed, 104 kW, SuperCharger than Athens, 100 kW.
    Here is the result:
    [​IMG]
    • Indicated 73 mph on GPS recording app
    • Travel velocity was 72.4 mph, close enough
    • Average trip speed including charging, 61.4 mph close enough

Charging costs:
    • Athens AL to Brentwood - $2.25, 9 min Tier 2 (arrived with 25% SOC, ended Brentwood at 5% SOC)
    • Brentwood to Athens AL - $4.93, 17 min Tier 2 (arrived with 5% SOC, ended Athens with 12% SOC)
    • Total - $7.18 for 171 miles . . . ~2.87 gal of gas @$2.50/gal . . . 59.6 MPG equivalent
    Lesson learned: if you put in your next SuperCharger and navigate to it, the charging screen will plan on a 10% reserve (24 mi) and count down to that departure SOC. You can stay on the charger longer for more reserve but having 10% appears to work fine in the SouthEast.

BACKGROUND

Recently Bjorn Nyland participated in a 2,781 km (~1,738 mi) in 24 hours, ~72.4 mph dawn-to-dawn speed. For a Standard Range Model 3, we'd have driven +90 mph . . . before addressing the 100-104 kW charging rate. I was just curious.

Bob Wilson

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. MajorAward

MajorAward Active Member

This took some time. Nice work!

bwilson4web likes this.