Cross country in Kona EV

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by bwilson4web, Nov 5, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

The reviewer wants to show how far Electrify America has gone. A bit long, YouTube playback allows increasing the playback speed:
    • 18:19 (hh:mm) - a challenge
    • 37:50 - excellent charging strategy advice
    Bob Wilson

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
    FloridaSun, Robbert and electriceddy like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Completely agree with charging to the taper point and more often at a faster rate on long distance trips.

bwilson4web likes this.
  4. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

This isn't the only video out there that seems like a shill for GougeAmerica,
    however... and when their stuff doesn't work they *are* to blame, despite
    the guy's assertion to the contrary.

More charging-network execs need to look up what "critical infrastructure"
    means...

_H*

bwilson4web likes this.
  5. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

Great video.. glad to see the EA chargers finally working. Still, the pricing is still a. Issue..

1st-KonaEV-in-FL likes this.
  6. bwilson4web

My only Electrify America experiences, bad, were at the Manchester TN stations with our BMW i3-REx. Only two of three attempts worked and the ones that did happened on the last of the four EVSEs. This was even after calling support. The failed attempt led to the REx taking me home.

I checked the Manchester station record on Plugshare and it still had problems this summer.

Bob Wilson

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. FloridaSun

As for charging strategy, I don't worry so much about what gives you the fastest charging speeds versus what strategy is the best for the battery. Even though we have a lifetime warranty in the US for the battery (original owner), I still would not want to degrade it rapidly. Running it down to 1% can't be a good thing for battery life. I personally have never discharged my battery below 9% and I'm not planning on doing it. I rather spend more time at the charger, as often, you can combine it with lunch or dinner which often takes as long or longer than it takes to charge the car to like 85% or so..

9. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

I have had issues with EA prematurely stopping the charge, and then getting dinged for another session fee. I have used ChargePoint with success.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Inside EVs mobile app

10. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

Just playing with the plug share app, I still see some holes in the charging infrastructure. Try planning a route from Fargo, ND to Bozeman MT, for example.

West Virginia is also pretty challenging.

11. FloridaSun

Alabama has little charging options too..
    Interstate 20 has a HUGE hole between Bremen/GA and Dallas/TX.. So, if you want to take an EV road trip in the South, don't take I-20... No Level 3 anywhere close to I-20 between Georgia and Texas..

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. bwilson4web

Electrify America remains a work-in-progress. But change from a CCS plug to Supercharger and you'll see what others have.

I have a Supercharger gap between Little Rock AR and Tulsa OK that exceeds our Tesla range. However, we can stay at an RV park in Fort Smith, camp-out and charge, to bridge the gap.

Bob Wilson

14. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

Even Tesla is imperfect. I was talking with a Tesla owner who went out to Yellowstone, and he was telling me about the circuitous route he needed to take to get there. He even had some sort of chadeno dongle so he could use the other chargers

Eventually it would be nice to somehow unify all of these.

15. bwilson4web

It looks like the EU did but it isn’t clear that the Superchargers are open to non-Tesla cars.

Bob Wilson

16. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

The superchargers are *not* open to non-teslas, and it seems likely that
    Tesla is going to fight tooth and nail to keep it that way. When in fact
    they should put CCS heads and the appropriate protocol electronics onto
    every one of them, and become part of the public network. It would still
    be a revenue stream, help the community, and maybe help make Tesla
    appear just a tiny bit less snooty.

_H*

17. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

They seem to be good with giving people the chademo dongle and let them use our chargers.

XtsKonaTrooper likes this.