Claybar, cleaning, polishing, ceramic

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Tek_Freek, Apr 16, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. I'm planning on filling my in-house time with doing the Sorento (testing the results) and the Clarity.

I know the basics. Wash, clay bar, clean, polish, clean, ceramic.

The problem is the tools and equipment required, none of which I have. I've looked on Chemical Guys and ended up totally confused. There are so many options I don't know what to buy. I sent them an email asking for guidance and so far no response.

Anyone here do theirs and can recommend the tools and products required to do it. I realize their are so many options it's tough to be specific, but any advice is appreciated.

Domenick likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Sandroad

Sandroad Well-Known Member

You're smart to be asking questions up front. I tried clay bar on a Subaru a couple years ago and messed up the hood a bit. Start learning on an inconspicuous place and keep up with contacting places like Chemical Guys for solid, non-anecdotal info.

4. Thanks. I am a bit paranoid about this and won't start without solid answers.

5. coutinpe

coutinpe Active Member

I was thinking on filling up my quarantine days with a similar project too. I will follow your footsteps. Keep us posted!

6. Not much help showing up here. {shrug}

I've been watching videos. There are lots of videos on Chemical Guys. I asked them for advice on a basic set of tools and products to get started and have not received an answer, which makes me leery of buying from them. They do carry a (supposedly) excellent and easy to apply ceramic coating. Hydrocharge.

https://www.chemicalguys.com/blogarticle?cid=article-hydrocharge-faq

Lots of videos on their site.

https://www.chemicalguys.com/blogcontent?fdid=blog

A few by this guy. Entertaining and seems knowledgeable

The toughest part for me is what combination of tools and products should I buy and the YouTube vlogger video I linked to is very informative. He goes over some of the items in detail which is what I need. Things like the polishing compounds and the pads. What combination of them do I need?

He is in England and some of the products may not be available here. The one he really likes, Bilt Hamber, is carried by a company that ships to the U.S. On the other hand I'm sure there are plenty of comparable products for sale here.

He did a couple of videos re graphene coating and they are entertaining and informative. If you click Show More there he lists lots of products he uses. Again, he is in England, but the same type of products can likely be found here.

Three months later:

I am fortunate in that I have a 2008 Kia Sorento to use as a learning tool. It's old enough, and will be considerably older before I sell it, that if I make a mess of something I won't care. I plan on starting on the roof so if I do make a hash of it no none will see it.

Unless someone changes my plan tomorrow I am going to dig into what to buy. I believe there is a forest in most horror stories that is similar to what I expect my experience to be.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. craze1cars

craze1cars Well-Known Member

This Clarity forum is generally the same 15 to 30 people talking about one specific car. I wouldn't expect many useful responses here as you're asking about a specialty that few of us will ever bother attempting. Seek out some higher traffic auto detailing specific forums. This is one of the most popular:
    https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/

Cash Traylor likes this.
  9. Mowcowbell

Mowcowbell Well-Known Member

I did wet clay my car when I first bought it in Mar '19. As long as you keep the surface wet and turn the clay over frequently, I saw little concern for any paint damage. Did it look better? Sure. Will I do it again? Probably not worth the effort and elbow grease.

I only hand wash and use Meguiars Quik Wax after each wash. Car is always garaged except when at work... oh wait no work, so its always garaged.

As Craze posted above, not many of us go beyond the basics. Heck, I'm probably a little above the normal here with the routine I use for cleaning my vehicles.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2020
    Domenick likes this.
  10. Good points. Thank you.

I will continue to post though if for no other reason than to impart the trials and tribulations for others here. Like Countinpe.

I removed the section regarding the polisher I was going to buy because of poor reviews. Still searching...

Last edited: Apr 18, 2020
    Cash Traylor likes this.
  11. To remove this ad click here.

12. eneka

eneka Member

Get a nanoskin scrub! Muuuuuch easier than using a clay bar. I've been detailing my cars for years now and it was a game changer. My go to polish is mezerna m205 and then seal with some Jescar Power lock. Both well regarded products. I use my trusty old Porter Cable 7424 random orbital buffer. For brake dust/rims I use Flash Auto Brown royal, much cheaper that other rim cleaners. Haven't really looked into ceramic seals since I've been leasing my cars and have had the need to.
    I have a hand full of microfiber towels and application sponges. Different cutting pads for the buffer and that's about it.

Kerbe and Tek_Freek like this.
  13. Thank you! This is what I was hoping to see. I will certainly look into those products.

14. eneka

eneka Member

No problem! From my experience, Chemical Guys does have decent products, but their product line is all over the place and have waaay too many things. I just use their Citrus Wash and gloss soap.
    Interiors I use diluted simple green for stains, aerospace 303 for trims and plastics and Lexol vinyl cleaner for the leather surfaces. (most "leather" seats are coated)

I have a foam gun and pressure washer, but I find it more of a novelty, but still fun nonetheless haha.

Normal maintenance washes are with the two-bucket method, microfiber wash mitt and a lambskin one.

I'll use some PlastiX on my older cars when needed to buff the tailight/headlights lens.

15. Kerbe

Kerbe Well-Known Member

I agree wholeheartedly: Nanoskin is WAY easier to use than clay, and more forgiving!

16. Cash Traylor

Cash Traylor Well-Known Member

I am really curious about the ceramic stuff. I know about polymer treatments. The high grade stuff I use in my industry is called "Permagard" and it is really cool and works very well (on aircraft). But way more expensive than I could justify on my car. I know some folks that use it on their exotic vehicles, but I don't have that kind of smack. I am researching ceramic online, but am following this thread with interest. I know nothing about this at all. I used a high grade polish and (thanks to this forum) the 303 product for the interior trim of my Clarity. Anyway, can't wait to hear about how it goes. When you make your final selection and do the project please post final photos and your "project materials list" and sources (for pricing) if you don't mind. They just cancelled my kids' school for the rest of this year, so I am home and need something to do so I don't lock myself in the trunk of my car and cut the emergency release cable with my wire snips...

Cheers,
    Cash

17. Current (but not immutable) list which is certainly not finished. It takes a lot of stuff to do this. At this time most of it is being sourced from Amazon, but I plan on searching Google for better pricing. You never know who might have a sale going. Note: You will see that my prices are somewhat higher than quoted on the sites. I always add for tax and/or shipping so the final numbers are more accurate.

Ceramic. When I searched for reviews of ceramic this one kept popping up in the top four or five.
    Ceramic Color N Drive Car Ceramic Coating Kit 50 ml-9H $61.00 Amazon
    https://www.amazon.com/Ceramic-Coating-Paint-Sealant-Protection/dp/B01N7UF4ZD/ref=as_li_ss_tl?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1508008070&sr=1-15&keywords=ceramic+coating+car&linkCode=sl1&tag=nanocare-20&linkId=8bd6f34e2ebd2504f3196c1d81e58786

Polisher. Recommended by eneka in a post above I did a Google search of reviews for polishers and this one consistently came to the top. It's been around a while and has proven itself.
    Polisher PORTER-CABLE Variable Speed Polisher, 6-Inch (7424XP) $122.00 Amazon or Home Depot
    https://www.amazon.com/PORTER-CABLE-7424XP-6-Inch-Variable-Speed-Polisher/dp/B002654I46/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Porter%2BCable%2B7424%2Brandom%2Borbital%2Bbuffer&qid=1587344493&sr=8-1&th=1&pldnSite=1

Backing pad. Good recommendations on Amazon.
    Astro Pneumatic Tool 4607 5" PU Hook & Loop Backing Pad $11.25 Amazon
    https://www.amazon.com/Astro-4607-Velcro-Backing-Pad/dp/B003CH3Z8W

Pressure Washer. Sifting, sifting, sifting. Tough one. I found 4 top rated electric - I don't want gas. This one won out because of features and fewer problems reported. Apparently some sellers are not very receptive to problem resolution, or even responding to email or calls. I decided on HD for availability, price, and return option being easy. And not having to ship. Mask and gloves time!
    2,300 PSI 1.2 GPM High Performance Electric Pressure Washer $300.00 Home Depot
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-2-300-PSI-1-2-GPM-High-Performance-Electric-Pressure-Washer-RY142300/300405751

Foam Cannon Lance. I found a lot of recommendations that said to buy an inexpensive one that worked well instead of an expensive one. This one is highly rated but comparatively cheap.
    DUSICHIN DUS-007 Snow Foam Lance Foam Cannon Adjustable Jet Wash Quick Release 5 Pressure Washer Nozzles $18.00 Amazon
    https://smile.amazon.com/DUSICHIN-DUS-007-Adjustable-Pressure-Detailing/dp/B01MF8E46S/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=DUSICHIN+SFL-001+Foam+Cannon&qid=1587401723&sr=8-4

High Pressure Gun. Good reviews. Found some with better (sort of) reviews but they were more expensive.
    ProwessPro High Pressure Washer Gun 4000 PSI M22 x 14mm Inlet Fitting with 21 Inch Extension Wand Lance & 5 Quick Connect Nozzles $33.00 Amazon
    https://smile.amazon.com/ProwessPro-Pressure-Fitting-Extension-Connect/dp/B07X3S293S/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=ProwessPro+High+Pressure+Washer+Gun&qid=1587401670&refinements=p_72%3A2661618011&rnid=2661617011&sr=8-2

Adapters. Apparently we need them so I looked for a set of them instead of just one. Close race, but this one won out for being a couple of dollars cheaper and slightly better reviews. Honestly I think they are the same parts under different brand names.
    Prince Mark Ultimate Pressure Washer Adapter Set, Quick Disconnect Kit, M22 Swivel to 3/8" Quick Connect, 3/4" to Quick Release, 8-Pack $18.25 Amazon
    https://smile.amazon.com/Prince-Mark-Ultimate-Pressure-Adapter/dp/B07G19ZJVK/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=Mingle+Ultimate+Pressure+Washer+Adapter+Set%2C+Quick+Disconnect+Kit%2C+M22+Swivel+to+3%2F8+Inch+Quick+Connect%2C+3%2F4+Inch+to+Quick+Release&qid=1587402285&sr=8-3

Cash Traylor likes this.
  18. Things I have on a list that I've not looked into yet.

Cleaning cloths of various types

Soap(s)

Polish(es) Since I'm doing two vehicles I think I'll need two polishes since the Clarity paint is (reportedly) soft and the Sorento isn't.

Cleaner(s) for in between steps during the process

Paint gauge (do I really need this?) Note: When I first typed this it said pain gauge. That may be an accurate statement.

Brushes for wheels

De-greaser (?) for wheels

Protective coating over the ceramic (?)

A light to show scratches. Apparently there are special handheld lights to do this

Patience

Last edited: Apr 20, 2020
  19. I wish the editing feature stayed on since I have changed my mind re ceramic coating.

After a post by Chris Wyatt (Facebook) and watching a bunch of videos and reading reviews this is the ceramic coating I plan on using. Users love this stuff! Pay attention to required quantities. It says I need 2 bottles for the Clarity and 3 for the Sorento. That's $212.45 before a $25 code for giving them my email address. The Sorento may get a different treatment since it's 11 years old.

AvalonKing Armor Shield IX DIY Kit $69.00 at AvalonKing
    https://avalonking.com/ref/jdebler/

20. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

Wow! Y’all are much more high tech, industrious, and extravagant than I am.
    i just wax once a year with whatever polymer wax is on sale (or better yet in the mark down bin). Then I use a wipe on/wipe off easy to apply “ceramic/nano/whatever” in whatever brand is on sale when water doesn’t bead like right after waxing (See Pix). Usually just once a year. One spray bottle will do the car at least 2 times if you use a very small rag to apply it. This quickly restores the water beading and is easy peasy quick. It also doesn’t leave a white residue on the plastic or rubber if you’re sloppy.
    For all plastic and gaskets, I do a once a year wipe down with 303 Protectant using an Auto Zone $5 or 25% off coupon. This stuff is fantastic and I found it from the airplane pilots whose planes sit out in the sun which is murder on plastic and polycarbonate. They all swear by it. And it doesn’t leave residue or make plastic shiny so I use it on the dash and under the hood.
    And I RainXed the windows and windshield 2 years ago, but haven’t needed to reapply by buffing which is very tedious and tiring. I’ve found that adding RainX to the WW fluid keeps it like when it was first applied and over 35 mph, I don’t even have to use the wipers. I’m at 2 years and 2 months on the original wipers and they are still skip and streak free.
    Hey, I’m not lazy, I’m just carefully rationing my energy and giving my mitochondria a break.
    3B969E47-287C-4D39-9EF6-D67030353783.jpeg

21. My plan is to coat once every three years or so. Maybe longer considering how little we drive. Since May 5th last year we've put 3737 miles on ours and that includes a little mileage by the dealer and a drive home from where we bought it in Salt Lake - to Las Vegas.

Ours is Crimson Pearl and it is soft paint. Even hand washing has put scratches in it. It needs a cleaning, polishing, and a robust coating.