Clarity scheduled charge issues

Discussion in 'Honda' started by M Chung, Oct 9, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. M Chung

M Chung New Member

In the last couple of months, I’ve been having issues with my 2018 Honda Clarity (17,682 miles) would not charge completely when I use the “schedule charge”. I do not charge my vehicle daily. I only charge it when I have zero EV miles. I have the app set to start charging around 2 a.m. and stop when it’s full. I would wake up to a partial charge of only a few miles. The notification on my phone just says “charge stopped”. If I don’t use the ‘schedule charge”, the battery charges fine with no issues.

I’ve visited the dealership 2x regarding this issue. The first time, the technician performed a software update. It resolved the issue but within 2-3 weeks, the problem returned. On the 2nd visit, the vehicle was kept overnight with the timer reset to charge from 8 pm. To 8 a.m. It charged 100%.

I had my first charge since getting the vehicle back from the dealership woke up to only 6 miles charged.

Just wondering if other Clarity owners have had same issue and fixes? Thanks

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. turtleturtle

turtleturtle Active Member

Sorry, haven’t had a similar issue. The app is notoriously buggy. For me, remote climate control almost never works.

4. PHEV Newbie

PHEV Newbie Well-Known Member

It's better if you charged after every drive (Honda's recommendation). After temperature extremes, the issue that causes the most damage to your battery is high depth of discharge (DoD). Going from 0 EV miles to 100% (and the reverse) is maximum DoD. The battery is happiest at 50% state of charge and more likely to be damaged as it goes further from 50% in either direction, especially if it just sits unused.