Clarity engine/road noise - not from ICE

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by MDClarity07, Jul 1, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. MDClarity07

MDClarity07 New Member

Hi all,

I've had a clarity since late March and have enjoyed it greatly.

I took a road trip from MD to MA (400+ miles each way) last weekend. On the way home, I started noticing a constant whirring/vibrating/wooshing sound that seems to be coming from the electric engine.

This is not the commonly reported misunderstanding of when the ICE engages/not understanding why the ICE engine is so loud. The sound occurs, and is separate from, the ICE in either HV or HVcharge mode. It also occurs in EV mode, and I can definitively hear that the ICE is not engaged.

It is not excessively loud, but it is certainly noticeable. More importantly, the car was dead quiet in the past on only EV mode. Now this new noise is present. It started when the car was at about 3200 miles on the odometer. The car has been at above 25% battery (and also fully charged) while the noise has occurred. It has been occurring for about 400 miles.

The noise starts at about 15/20 mph and increases in volume as you increase to highway speed. There is a low vibration that accompanies it throughout the car.

Any clues? Should I just take it in to the dealership?

Thanks all!

Nick

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. craze1cars

craze1cars Well-Known Member

Doesn’t sound normal. I’d take it in under warranty if it were mine and the noises changed or increased as you describe.

Kerbe and ClarityDoc like this.
  4. LAF

LAF Active Member

road noise from tires?

5. JackH

JackH Member

Wheel/Tire out of balance?

6. MDClarity07

MDClarity07 New Member

@LAF and @JackH; yes, that's kind of where I'm leaning right now. I've made an appointment at the dealer where I got it for weds AM and I'll update this post when I have an answer!

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Mowcowbell

Mowcowbell Well-Known Member

Failing wheel bearing?

9. Dante

Dante Member

2nd the bearing suggestion - especially considering the quality of roads you traveled on that trip

10. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

Not betting the farm on this, but will make a small wager on wheel bearing or CV joint since it’s speed dependent and not engine dependent.
    If the noise can be reproduced for the dealer Service Advisor or mechanic, then you have hope since it’s common to all cars and the usually clueless nature of most dealers about the Clarity won’t be a problem.

11. PascoClarity

PascoClarity New Member

I had a similar noise, turned out to be passenger side front wheel bearing. They had to order the bearing, took about 2 days to get. You'd think it would be the same bearing as accord.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Vinoh

Vinoh Member

I've had a similar noise although it only happens occasionally so I thought it was related to tires and road conditions. If it happens again, I'll bring it in to have the bearings checked out.

14. MDClarity07

MDClarity07 New Member

Hi everyone, I've got an update. Ding ding ding, correct to all those who suggested a bearing issue.

My dealer (Sport Honda in Silver Spring, MD) was able to take it last night and look at it this morning.

They've just called and diagnosed a right front wheel bearing problem, same as @PascoClarity. They replaced it free of charge (warranty covers it).

I have yet to pick up the car, but I'll update this post after I drive for a bit to confirm that the problem was solved.

Mowcowbell, KentuckyKen and fotomoto like this.
  15. MDClarity07

MDClarity07 New Member

Update, excuse my french, but ****.

Picked it up - fine for first mile - but on the five mile return trip to work, I now notice a hissing/grinding/scraping noise. Noise not present when car is stopped; very loud when the noise bounces back off of other nearby cars or structures. None of the tires are leaking or flat. Noise coming from front passenger tire.

Improperly re-installed wheel? Bent backing plate hitting the rotor? A rock grinding in the brakes?

What a fun day for me :-D

16. MrFixit

MrFixit Well-Known Member

Anxiously awaiting an update !!
    Are you still hissing/grinding/scraping, or back to normal now? Was the wheel bearing the real cause?

17. MDClarity07

MDClarity07 New Member

Thanks for the reminder! I was on (yet another) road trip to visit family in upstate NY after getting it fixed last week.

The dealership diagnosed the hissing/scraping as a mis-aligned backing plate on that same wheel - it was grinding against the brake rotor. They fixed that free of charge and apologized about 50 times for the inconvenience.

The road trip was 600+ miles total and it was strange noise/hissing/grinding free... with fantastic MPG as always :-D

18. MrFixit

MrFixit Well-Known Member

So bottom line - failed wheel bearing on front passenger side?
    You are the second one that I remember seeing.
    Wheel bearing failures are not common on a vehicle this new so it is something we will have to keep a watch on.

MajorAward likes this.
  19. MDClarity07

MDClarity07 New Member

@MrFixit correct, that is the bottom line. Front passenger wheel failed bearing, replaced free of charge under warranty.

I have two theories for possible failure:

1) I was a few cars behind a front tire blowout on a semi-truck on I-78 before the bearing failed. We definitely hit some unavoidable road debris at 70+mph. However, for 24hr after that, I didn't notice the failed bearing noise.

2) during my original weekend trip when I noticed the noise, I was driving rural roads in western MA. I drove over a few rough gravel roads at possibly too high a speed (though not above 25+). I also drove over a bridge that was in terrible condition (https://goo.gl/maps/9bbGfai2YCuVzDAP9) near Greenfield MA, also at about 20mph. In retrospect I should have driven slower, but it was dark and I was unfamiliar with the road. The following morning after that drive I began to notice the noise.

My unqualified opinion: this sedan is heavy as hell, and the wheel bearings can't handle strong potholes/bouncing about on a rough road surface well.

Mowcowbell likes this.
  20. HEEKANG OH

HEEKANG OH New Member

Hi

I have Clarity 2018 And Mine has same issue.

It has been started around 3000mile( now 4000)

under 35mph weird sound from front wheel area( like tik-----tik--tik-tik it depends speed).....Thesedays it comes with light vibration......

So I visited dealer 2weeks ago but Unfortunately they didn't find anything(I tested with them again because they told me couldn't find but at that moment noise wasn't there).....and then when i was coming home the noise started again...

It still bothering me.....

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
  21. Dusty

Dusty New Member

22. Dusty

Dusty New Member

Having owned our Clarity for over a year, we think our Clarity is the best car ever, but in the past month or two, it has developed an unusual sound everytime we drive it. This sound occurs in Eco with full or partial traction battery charge. It also occurs if I switch into neutral while moving. It sounds like the ICE is throttling but it is not running. No fuel used and no panel indication of ICE running. This occurs and can be heard every timethe car is coasting or slowing downWITHOUT applying brake or using Regen paddles, or during acceleration. Over the past year during both summer and winter driving in PA, this has NEVER occured. We are quite familiar with the expected ICE running under a variety of situations, but this is not one of them. The ICE is NOT running, just sounds like throttling, but ALL the time, no matter what modewe are in. I have also wondered if it could be awheel bearing, but we only have 4,800 miles on the car. A little soon for awheel bearing problem. Any thoughts you might have would be greatlyappreciated since I'm sure that our dealer would be completely clueless. I have thoriughly studied everything I can find out about the technology inthe Clarity, both before we bought it and ever since. (I like to know howthings work.) Thanks in advance for any insight you or anyone else canprovide.

23. Groves Cooke

Groves Cooke Active Member

I had a right front bearing failure. Took it to the dealer. The shop foreman took a test drive with me and agreed that it was probably a wheel bearing. Put it up on a rack and confirmed it. Replaced wheel bearing and all is well. I would have your cdealer check it out.