Cheap Frunk- everything from Lowes under $10

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Paul DeLeon, Dec 15, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Paul DeLeon

Paul DeLeon Active Member

20191215_125156.jpg 20191215_125207.jpg 20191215_125156.jpg 20191215_125207.jpg

apu likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. You have to provide some more details, is that insulation board under the plastic bin? How do you have it all secured? Mostly important how did you manage to find a tan coloured Kona electric? I like it :) I assume the colour hue/saturation of the photo is a little off.

4. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

Two words: white balance

And, if you're simply sitting all of this on top of the charger,
    it's not going to last long.

_H*

5. It's not ideal but the charger is cooled by the radiator.

6. Cost of throwing that under the back seat $0.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Paul DeLeon

The board underneath is dense white foam. It is held by the peg that mounts the plastic cover. Just punch out a hole. I glued the tray to the foam pad for security, but it doesn't move even without it. The tray is tan but my car is white. I measured the temperature of the motor with a remote probe before building this. Even at highway speeds it never exceeded 94 deg F.

9. Better to measure that surface after charging for at least an hour at 7.4 kW since the OBC is not in use while driving. I get around 30°C over ambient.

10. GPM432

GPM432 Active Member

Well no one else will say it but may think it but it looks like a very amateur home job. Just a plastic tote.. mmmm just my thought..

11. Gsbrryprk8

Gsbrryprk8 Member

I’m worried about the risk of fire with this method. While the “shield” covering the charger (?) is plastic, it’s designed for that location. Foam or other plastics may not hold up to the heat or vibration under that hood. If it breaks loose you could have a real problem in there. I love DIY solutions and like the idea of making that space useful, but I’d feel better if it were made of metal (or at least something that won’t melt or burn) and really secured to those posts.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Paul DeLeon

It is amateur. It is simple. It is cheap. It works. I have had it there continuously for 5 months with absolutely no problem. I periodically checked the temperature under the pad while charging and driving, and it was always in the low 90s or below. Two of the projecting pins perforate the foam and hold it snugly. It is unnecessary but I suppose one could place an aluminum fry pan beneath the foam. But to have conductive metal in the area of an electric motor and battery seems unwise to me.