ChargePoint is positioning themselves to be a key EV player

Discussion in 'General' started by TheLight75, Jun 21, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. TheLight75

TheLight75 Active Member

It's interesting to see how ChargePoint is positioning themselves to be a key player in the US charging market by being the glue that provides convenient nationwide access to a huge network of native CP level 2 chargers, personal CP L2 chargers, AND roaming access to Electrify America (2019), EVgo (2019), Greenlots (2018), and Blink (2013).
    They stand to make a fortune in (1) advertising with so many eyeballs looking at their website & app, (2) aggregating & selling consumer charging statistics, and (3) back-end reciprocity kickbacks (like the regional phone companies do for connecting calls from other areas).

To me, this also looks like a big unified threat against Tesla's Supercharger network once these networks mature and more 150kW & 350kW chargers are installed. While perhaps not as polished as the Tesla network is, it will provide a lot of simplicity and convenience for EV owners looking to charge.

It sounds like eventually, it will be one RFID card to rule them all. :D:D

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Pushmi-Pullyu

Pushmi-Pullyu Well-Known Member

I certainly hope so! There are a shocking number of complaints posted to EV forums about drivers who have to juggle multiple cards to activate various brands of EV chargers. It's long past time since those companies got together and agreed on a standardized way to identify the driver and set up a charge for the session. As has been said: You can now use major credit cards to pay at the pump at many or perhaps most gas stations; why are EV charging stations lagging so far behind?

There was a time when there was no standardized nozzle for dispensing gas at gas stations. Finally the government stepped in and mandated a standard design, which was to the benefit of all gas stations. If the various EV charging networks don't do it themselves, then that's going to force the government to step in and impose regulations, which is absurd. There shouldn't be any need for that.

TheLight75 likes this.
  4. interestedinEV

interestedinEV Well-Known Member

While I agree with you, it is a little easier said than done. Take cell phone chargers. Even till a few years back, each manufacturer tried to use a propriety connector, till the EU stepped in and tried to force standardization. Now finally about 10 years later, the USB-C seems to have become the standard with both Apple and Samsung adopting it, but some Chinese Manufacturers have not signed on. US consumers are benefiting from what happened in Europe. In the present political slant in the US,where neither EVs nor new regulations, are not considered a priority at the Federal level. Hence, I do not see an impetus to act. It may come from Europe, where there is a both an appreciation for EVs and a more unified front. As you say, it is better the manufacturers do it themselves, but I do not see them doing it.

5. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

I've put 9,152 mi on our EV in less than 90 days. I've only had one fast DC charger problem that resolved itself by using an adjacent charger at the charging park. Contacting customer support, they plan to send a technician . . . and I believe them. Of course everything from charger to car has a Tesla logo.

Bob Wilson

6. Pushmi-Pullyu

There are still two different formats for cell phone chargers, at least the ones used in my house. There's the proprietary iPhone charger plug, and then there's the mini-USB plug that it seems has become the "standard" for Android phones.

Neither one of those formats are what I'd call a "standard", any more than VHS or BetaMAX was a "standard" until VHS won out over BetaMAX.

Just my personal experience and opinions, of course. YMMV -- Your Mileage May Differ.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Pushmi-Pullyu

So far as I know, Tesla does not require any sort of card to use their system. You just plug the Supercharger or Destination Charger plug into your car. If it's a Supercharger, then it identifies your individual car (and you as the owner) by exchanging data with the car. And if it's a Destination Charger... well, so far as I know, no installation of a Tesla Destination Charger requires activating the charger with any sort of charge card or other form of ID. If the business where a Tesla Destination Charger is located is charging money, then I guess they have it physically locked up in some manner unless you pay. At least, I haven't read about anybody having to use any sort of ID card or credit card at any Tesla Destination Charger.

I'm guessing, Bob, that the intent of your comment was to point out how much easier it is to use Tesla chargers, if you own a Tesla car. While of course that's true, it's not the subject under discussion here.

9. interestedinEV

interestedinEV Well-Known Member

The current I-Phones have the lightning connector but the rumor is that Apple is moving towards the thunderbolt (which has the same plug as mini-usb) connector as they have done for Macbook (my Macbook pro only has USB-s (the mini USB ports). Apple for the latest release (2019) are going to provide a lightning to thunderbolt cable so that USB-C devices can be connected. Thunderbolt is a subset of USB-C (all thunderbolt devices will read USB-C but not the other way around). So the mini USB (USB-C) seems to be winning out as Apple has path in that direction. Today there are still the various formats, in spite of urging from EU. So my point was that forcing all EV manufacturers to use one plug is not likely to happen soon.

10. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

Ordering a Tesla requires a "My Tesla" account and a credit card which receives the SuperCharger and any other billings. For example, I put my $2.5k deposit on this card. Also, "My Tesla" has the receipts which happily gives me a detailed costing record. With the card, Tesla can also run a credit check if needed.
    The Tesla Destination Charger is the functional equivalent to a J1772, EVSE. To the best of my knowledge, it has no network link for passing vehicle, billing, or access management. However, I have not torn one apart and didn't think to look at the one Munro had.
    It was more to point out that an EV is more than just the car. Today, it has to include the charging infrastructure that gives the car range and utility. Separating the car from the fastDC chargers is a recipe for the operational problems of Electrify America . . . I'll stop here before I get on my soap box.

Bob Wilson

ps. Excellent teardown of Tesla EVSE:

Since there appears to be some sort of communication between the Tesla and the plug, there may be undocumented capabilities for networking at the L1/L2 EVSE level.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
  11. Pushmi-Pullyu

Thanks for the info! Last I read, Tesla was adding any Supercharger fees to the owner's next visit to a Tesla service center. If they're now billing your credit card instead, then I think that shows Tesla's business is maturing. Good to know!

bwilson4web likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.