Carpool / EV lanes in Google or Waze

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Francois, Sep 27, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Francois

Francois Active Member

Where I live (in Quebec, Canada) some of our highways have something called the carpool lanes or commuter lanes.

Those are lanes that are reserved for buses, taxis, cars with at least one extra passengers in them and also .... electric vehicules. :)

Do other provinces or does the United States have these as well?

I am asking because I wonder if anyone knows of a way to tell either Waze or Google maps to take those carpool lanes into consideration when they pick the best route to get to your destination?

If carpool lanes are a Quebec only thing, then I suspect Google would not have developed such a functionality as it would only serve a tiny fraction of their user base.

But if carpool lanes are more widely spread, then I am keeping my fingers crossed that such a feature either already exists somewhere or that it might be eventually implemented. :)

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Francois

Francois Active Member

I guess the total lack of any response means this does not exist yet. ;)

4. Francois

Francois Active Member

Actually, there is something on Waze that can be useful.

You go to Settings (the gear icon)
    Then under "Driving preferences" sub-menu you press the "Car Details" section.
    There you pick Electric Vehicule under Vehical type

Still under the "Car Details" section, you then click on Toll & HOV passes.
    And there you can pick "Show all passes".

In my case, I picked:

"Québec plaque verte" because in Quebec electric cars have a green on white license plates (instead of the blue on white for other cars)

and

"A25 transponder" because having an electric car qualifies me as being able to cross the (otherwise paid) A25 bridge for free.

Hope this helps someone. :)
    And if you hear of something similar for Google maps, please update this thread. :)