Cabin heat while DC charging?

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Jgood, Jan 14, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. I can't find any specific into in the manual about this situation, so perhaps someone with experience will know the answer. Is it possible to keep the cabin heat running while the Kona is attached to a DC charger? I had to charge in upstate NY recently when it was about 20°F and windy outside. The interior dropped down to about 45° while I was sitting there waiting and I really wanted to turn the heat on, but couldn't figure out how. The car is supposed to be ON to use heat, but it can't be ON while attached to a charger...or is that not correct? Bluelink wouldn't connect (an all too frequent occurrence) so I couldn't even attempt to use remote climate control the way I would with my home charger. I keep thinking about those videos of Bjorn Nyland sitting in his test Konas during Norwegian winter. How did he not freeze?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. SkookumPete

SkookumPete Well-Known Member

You can turn the car on in the usual way but of course you can't drive it. You'll get a warning that charging will take longer if climate functions are used.

Jgood likes this.
  4. Okay! I didn't think that would work so never even tried it. Thanks for the help.

SkookumPete likes this.
  5. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

I had to do this a while back. You can pull up and start charging with the
    car still on; it'll drop out of "ready" so you can't drive, but most other stuff
    still works. I believe I saw a warning that charging would take longer with
    the heat running. Reasonable in principle, not reasonable at the time
    because I was on an EVgo charger that was going to cut me off at 45
    minutes. I ran it long enough to get a little warmth and then turned it
    off, which was enough for sitting in a closed non-moving car.

_H*

Jgood likes this.