CA HOV Decal Position

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Toolworker, Feb 10, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. As I wait patiently (more or less) for DMV to process my HOV decal application, I am fretting over fitting the large stickers on the Kona's tiny rear quarter panel.

Would some of you who have solved that problem care to post photos?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. OK, Google is my friend. These from the 12 month ownership review on kbb.com (which just named the Kona its Electric Car Best Buy of 2020).

IMO the large sticker doesn't look good being that high, and will only be worse in orange. I wonder how it would work being at the level of the small sticker and wrapping around to the rear. (The small stickers should be on the front bumper, per the DMV website.)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Tim94549

Tim94549 Active Member

Personally, I HATE those stickers. I wonder if there were a way to Temporarily attach them for a trip, then be able to remove and put in the glove box? Like if there were magnets or something that could be cut to size for them ?? Like those small magnetic Business cards I've had. (magnetic stuff may not stick to the body of course ... but SOMETHING like that? Something peel-able ???)

You Science-minded peeps - give it some serious thought & make some recommendation ??

5. Tim94549

Tim94549 Active Member

PS - TOOLWORKER ... THAT's exactly OUR Kona ! ... in Bay Area as well.. I'll keep an eye out for you !! lol ..

6. Sweet jeebus! I would be really peeved if I had to stick those abominations on my car. Thank goodness Ontario has simple green license plates for hov lane access.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. HOV decals finally arrived. (I'll post the timing in this thread.) Yes, I don't like the look, and even less so in orange, but willingly pay the price for four years of HOV lane usage and carpool toll discounts.

Those not wanting to lose almost two months of HOV lane should ask the dealers if they pre-order the decals. Some do; some don't.

The placement is challenging because none of the spots the DMV specifies, all of which face straight back, forward or sideways, exist on the Kona. Here's how I put them on the back:

Rear Stickers.jpg
    I noted above that the DMV website shows both small decals on the front, but this is what the instructions accompanying the decals said.

I'm still wavering on the front placement, but leaning toward how @Tim94549 did it, above.

To place the decals, I used a level and copies made on my inkjet printer. Then I marked the placement with blue tape. I started with the upper corner of the straight part of the decal, then got a vertical working edge and moved slowly across, smoothing down a little at a time, especially when going over a spot where the bumper changes shape.

Mount Stickers.jpg
    Note the little black marks above "OK" in the right hand photo. They say "VOID" and happen when the sticker is repositioned after touching the surface, no matter how lightly. Oops.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2020
  9. California can't do it that way because our access expires at the end of the third full year, as indicated by the sticker color. And I wouldn't want to give up my 40 year old blue and gold personalized plates. Not a lot of those still around.

10. Tim94549

Tim94549 Active Member

Looks horrible, IMHO ... I decided to NOT place the LARGER decals for now. I really don't use the HOV lane much anyway right now. So I just put the large ones in my Glove box for the day I *DO* use the HOV and get stopped. Then I'll plead my case, show the officer the decals, and only put them on after THAT.

This is crazy ugly. Nice job CALIFORNIA DMV ! They should REALLY do what other states have done - issue a HOV LICENSE PLATE .. or a small Decal (like the registration Decal, that can be applied in the bottom corner of the License Plate.)

PS - California Residents -- go to the Governor's web site & post a Complaint/Suggestion to Gavin Newsom !! https://govapps.gov.ca.gov/gov40mail/

11. The Kona EV badging is pretty quiet about being electric, and I like getting in people's faces that there are clean air vehicles on the road and we get perks. And I'm for anything that makes carpool lane enforcement easier.

So I'm OK with the stickers. I was dreading the orange, but they're growing on me.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Yes, I realize the last post in this thread is from last year, but I didn't want to start a new thread about the CAV decals placement. I got my blue "2021" CAV decals a couple months ago but haven't bothered to affix them yet. I was thinking of putting them on pieces of PPF cut slightly larger than the decals before placing them on the Kona. I *think* the PPF will still stick to the trim behind the rear wheels. The placement instructions for the blue ones are like the ones on the DMV website where the smaller pair should be on the front, facing forward.

I'm actually still debating on whether I want to affix them. The only time I'm on the freeway during active HOV lane hours is on NB 101 between Sunnyvale through where it ends by Whipple and just 3 of the 4 days that I go to work. Assuming the current construction finishes on time (yeah, right), the HOV lane will become an Express Lane by the end of next year (2022). I don't intend to pay to use that lane, so if traffic gets bad, I'll just go back to using NB280 to get to work.

14. Tim94549

Tim94549 Active Member

Yea, I hear ya. I never put the larger front ones on. However, I seldom (like 1-2 / year) use the HOV lane since I no longer commute to work. I just keep the larger ones in my Glove box - in case I ever get pulled over. Then I'll plead the 5th.. lol

15. Kona57

Kona57 New Member

I just bought a 2022 Kona Ev in Socal. Do I qualify for the stickers? Not sure I would apply them, but may throw them in the glove just in case...

16. I guess my procrastination paid off in a way. The express lane on the section of NB 101 that I use to get to work in the afternoon is going to go active this Friday (2/11), so I'm even less motivated to affix the CAV decals. I got as far as sticking them on PPF film, but didn't actually transfer them to the Kona. Oh well.

It's going to be interesting when the rest of the express lane (Phase II) activates later this year as I use the entire corridor to get to work. I can already imagine how much more of a backup there will be at the 92 interchange with one less "regular" lane. We'll see if I end up going back to using 280.

17. Tim94549

Tim94549 Active Member

A trick I learned about REMOVING said HOV stickers -- a HAIR DRYER will loosen the glue allowing them to be peeled off. I found this out when I had my read bumper replaced after a small accident.

Surlycat likes this.