Buzzing sound when car off, not plugged in

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by dlavkffk, Mar 7, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. dlavkffk

dlavkffk New Member

I noticed in my garage yesterday that the car was buzzing. The car was turned off and not plugged in. The noise was coming from the rear of the car. Since the noise kept going past 30 minutes, I turned the car on, then back off, which cleared the noise. I could not find a similar issue on this forum, but did find a youtube video posted by someone else. Are any others having this issue?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. jdonalds

jdonalds Well-Known Member

It may be something that isn't normal but...

After owning two Prius cars and now the Clarity it is very common to step out into the garage and hear clicking an whirring even hours after parking the car.

MPower likes this.
  4. Robert_Alabama

Robert_Alabama Well-Known Member

Echo @jdonalds. I have not noticed this with the Clarity, but my Volt will make all sorts of noises hours after it has charged or been driven. I don't know what kind of battery management it is up to, but I assume it is something of that sort, circulating coolant, etc...

5. Sandroad

Sandroad Well-Known Member

Vehicles with an engine and emission control system make that noise when the system is doing certain self checks. It’s normal.

6. izudin

izudin Member

MA
    That is normal. The page 18 of the Owner's Manual states:

After shutting off the engine, you may hear certain noises coming from the vehicle. Here’s the lowdown:
    Noise from Under Vehicle: This noise is caused by the vacuum pump inside the fuel evaporation leakage check module (ELCM).
    Depending on conditions, the pump will come on for about 15 minutes about 5 to 10 hours after engine shutoff. This noise is just normal
    vehicle operation and don’t indicate a vehicle problem.

insightman and petteyg359 like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.