Built-in NAV nav MAPS live traffic SUNA - very slow - can we force the SUNA to listen to 97.4?

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by nzkiwi68, Jan 7, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. nzkiwi68

nzkiwi68 New Member

Live traffic is very slow to come up on the built-in NAV maps, and often not at all. I can tell because I look at the live traffic and ask to display all traffic (not just on my route) and after even 15 minutes, it's still empty. Sometimes it does come up with traffic, but, mostly not.

I see from the SUNA website, that the Auckland NZ frequency is 97.4
    SUNA do not recommended to force the SUNA to use one frequency, but, I'd like to try and see.
    http://sunatraffic.co.nz/faqs/can-you-please-tell-me-the-frequency-my-device-should-tune-into-i-am-unable-to-receive-your-broadcast-and-want-to-verify-reception-via-car-radio/

Does anyone know if this is possible? Force SUNA to use one frequency?

Perhaps google maps is the answer...

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. As far as I understand the system it uses a second separate tuner in the background and scans through all channels. When it finds a channel supporting the additional traffic information it has to "listen" to it for a certain amount of time, since the data has to be transmitted which takes a while. The "data connection" is not very fast!
    In the US the HD Radio data rate is around 12 kB/s (if I'm not mistaken).
    So it will need some time to transfer all that data.

4. nzkiwi68

nzkiwi68 New Member

Yes, so, is there any way to force it just listen to channel 97.4 which is Auckland NZ?

5. Paul DeLeon

Paul DeLeon Active Member

In my US model, data comes as a secondary source from SIRIUSXM. Do you have that there?

6. nzkiwi68

nzkiwi68 New Member

No XM here. That requires a geo stationary satellite above you, whoch, we don't have in NZ.

Therefore the SUNA traffic system relies 100% on FM radio in NZ.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. No, that system works completely in the background. I am not aware of any means of adjusting it.

9. Possibly it can be by the dealer in engineering mode. There are a couple of videos on youtube that show how to access engineering mode via the infotainment. I tried recently but it seem at least my 2020 Kona now requires a password to access, I suppose Hyundai may be onto the videos.