Booking EV Hotels on Extended Road Trips

Discussion in 'General' started by mzichao, Aug 3, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. mzichao

mzichao New Member

Hi all,

Newbie question. I plan to take an extended road trip in the near future. Should I worry about booking EV hotels? How to plan EV hotels strategically (e.g. California to Denver, with many national park stops)? My Tesla S could tell me where the nearby EV hotels are located, but I think I should book hotel in advance. Maybe the general question is what is the one thing you wish you'd known before you booked your hotel stay for your EV road trip? Any pointers are greatly appreciated.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. I haven't road tripped in an EV yet, but besides the common-sense calling ahead and asking if they offer an EV charger, one should probably ask if they could be reserved specifically for your vehicle on the night that you plan to be there.

It's great that a hotel has a charger, but if other travelers plug in ahead of time, well...

4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

My experience is chargers are turned off by the maintenance man to avoid parasitic EVs. Local people who come to charge but not spend the night. So call ahead and make sure the circuit is turned on.

Bob Wilson

electriceddy and Domenick like this.
  5. Simple activation with a room card should be the standard

RSC, Domenick, davidtm and 1 other person like this.
  6. I just took a road trip and I called the hotel in advance to make sure I could charge once I arrived. In my case there was no charger at the hotel so I had to use a public L2 charger during my day of walking around.
    You can use the "A Better Route Planner" Web site to plan you trip before hand.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. interestedinEV

interestedinEV Well-Known Member

[QUOTE="Domenick, post: 72075, member: 3"

It's great that a hotel has a charger, but if other travelers plug in ahead of time, well...[/QUOTE] Or a person with a ICE who has just found an empty parking slot. I see the at my Y. A lot of of the times, it is occupied by someone who wants to run in and out and often make time a long time.