Bluetooth vs. Carplay

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by HappyValley, Feb 23, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. HappyValley

HappyValley New Member

With the implementation of Carplay into most new vehicles, I would think the best and easiest method to utilize your phone is this manner. Bluetooth functionality is much more expanded in new vehicles than it was in the past as you can do texting and e-mail in addition to calls and playing audio through apps.

I suppose that I envision plugging my phone into the USB each time, accessing Apple Carplay, and going from there. I don't have my vehicle yet although have played around with Carplay at the dealership and it's great! Every app that I utilize for audio is compatible. Are there any benefits that Bluetooth has over Carplay and vice versa? Do you use both?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. ab13

ab13 Active Member

You wouldn't have to plug in your device. You can leave it in your pocket or bag.

bfd likes this.
  4. loomis2

loomis2 Well-Known Member

I plug my phone in because Android Auto is just a better experience than stock and it charges the phone while I am driving. I use this cable in the Clarity. It is the perfect length. Obviously make sure to get the right connector for your phone. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CZVEUIE

5. iluvscuba

iluvscuba Active Member

I believe Google is working on wireless Android Auto, hopefully it will come out soon

6. HappyValley

HappyValley New Member

Makes sense and thanks for the advice! I think I'll get one.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. brentac

brentac Member

I’m an Apple fanboy so I’m all over CarPlay. Plus my phone is getting charged at the same time. Win win

9. jdonalds

jdonalds Well-Known Member

I tried Android auto but use Bluetooth. I didn't see any advantages to using Android auto but I did see restrictions.

10. bruinjacket

bruinjacket New Member

The biggest benefit for me of using Android Auto in general is Waze on the screen

ClarityDoc likes this.
  11. bfd

bfd Active Member

This was exactly my first thought. I've left my phone in the car several times because I "forgot" I had plugged it in for CarPlay. While using Siri to sift through the music beats using your watch or your iPhone, I'm not sure it's that great a feature now that I've experienced using it. I guess if I was in my car all the time - or for even a few hours a day - then the benefits might be more critical. Still, it's nice to have the feature - I'd be interested in whether CarPlay is upgradeable if indeed Apple decides to add new features later on. Apple says CarPlay supports other apps on your iPhone:[​IMG]

I am not sure I've seen all those apps, so I'll have to do some investigating next time I have a few minutes to poke around in CarPlay.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. HappyValley

HappyValley New Member

What are the restrictions that you are referencing?

14. loomis2

loomis2 Well-Known Member

Yes, it is, as is Android Auto, and that is the biggest draw for both. They are constantly being upgraded and expanded. Same for Maps, which is why I use it instead of the gps that came with the car. Heck, I just read a way to get YouTube working with Android Auto, although that isn't the safest idea.

15. Jason4107

Jason4107 New Member

My in-laws have a newer BMW X6 and it has wireless Apple Carplay. I would think that is the ideal solution. (BMW does charge a subscription for Carplay and AndroidAuto)

16. glockgirl

glockgirl Member

I haven't been able to get my phones to working with Android auto. It's software issue with next 6p and orio 8.1.i did get my hubby Samsung 8 to play nice with it. (runners 7.1) on short drives around town and to-from work, plug in - out isn't the best. It's not enough time to change the phone anyway. Bluetooth is way better for short trips.but I do like waze for out of town drives. I can't wait for them to fix the glitter or for me to get a new photo.

17. jdonalds

That makes sense if you have traffic issues. Lucky for me we don't have traffic in our little city.

18. jdonalds

Well I only tried it once but only a small set of apps were exposed on the center screen. So I was not able to get to any app on my phone. Other than the size of the display I saw no reason to restrict myself.

We have a magnetic mount right next to the shift buttons which takes 1/2 second to mount the camera. If we want to power the phone we have a magnetic microUSB cable which attaches in a couple of seconds. I then have full access to the Honda Clarity center screen and the phone screen.

As I said other than screen size I just didn't see any advantage to using Android Auto. We are happy with the Garmin maps. If we ever run into issues with Garmin we simply use the phone.

One poster said they like to use Waze but we don't have traffic in our area so don't need the community input. I doubt if there is much of a Waze community here anyway. But for those in high traffic areas I can see Waze would be a big asset.

HappyValley likes this.
  19. Trabman

Trabman New Member

I am able to get Bluetooth hook up to read text message. But I am unable to send a fixed reply. Do I need Android Car to use this function?

20. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

I’m too lazy to take out my phone and plug it in (and remember to unplug and repocket) every time I get in the car, so call me a Bluetooth fan boy.
    I plug in when I need a charge.

Have you noticed that just a Bluetooth connection gives you a very small phone battery charge indicator on top of the center display? It was an embarrassing long time before I noticed it. Tells me if I need to charge or not with out taking my phone out.

ClarityDoc likes this.
  21. chris5168

chris5168 Member

22. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

You can swipe down on those two tiny icons for more info, such as "Searching for GPS" when the satellite icon is blinking.

23. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

Thanks for that tidbit, insightman. I had no idea it was there. I’m still waiting on my manuals. I like the printed page but now I’m going to download the Nav manual and see what else I’m missing.
    I noticed after trying your tip that there is settings icon (looks like a set of 3 sliders) that brings up a menu I had never seen with lists of info and settings for the Android head unit that I could not find in the main menu settings. Live and learn.