Best way to charge

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Paul DeLeon, Jan 25, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Paul DeLeon

Paul DeLeon Active Member

So much conflicting information. I've read that it's best to keep the battery fully charged. When fully charged, magic electronics repair bad cells. I've read that it's best to let the battery go low. When low, magic electronics repair bad cells. I've read that it's best to keep the battery partially charged, etc...
    What is the truth?

E-Shark likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Just keep it at an average state of 60% if you want to maximise the life. If you don't care about the life, then don't worry about any of the following.

So, leave it plugged in at home as convenient and use the charger limiter to set the maximum charge to cover your next-day requirements such that your average charge level is roughly 60%. If you need the whole battery capacity or are unsure of your needs, fine, charge to 100% but try to avoid letting it sit for days at or near 100%.
    If you happen to drive it under 20% it's advised that you charge to above that at the next convenient opportunity rather than let it sit overnight.

If you leave the car unused for weeks or months, charge it to about 60%, set the limiter to 50 or 60 and leave it plugged in if you can to either the trickle or wall AC charger. Many have reported very low rates of loss when unused, perhaps 2% a month max, so it's not critical if you can't leave it plugged in.

That's the best treatment but plenty of owners don't worry at all and no one has reported any resulting issues.
    I hope that's helpful ...

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
    electriceddy likes this.
  4. E-Shark

E-Shark Active Member

Lol so true. Do what is best and easiest for you, and your mind!!

5. I agree, and add temperature and SOC have a major bearing on long term degradation of Lithium packs and reports so far indicate Kona EV TMS works well in all conditions to minimize degradation as indicated by posts from both hot and (not so hot) environments.
    Of course time is the only factor that will prove/disapprove that, but the LG chemistry/BMS seems to be holding up well showing little signs of cell imbalances which would indicate stress in modules.
    With my previous Leafs('13 24 kWh and '16 30 kWh) for example, a 5% degradation per year c/w range reduction was considered "normal" by Nissan.(160 mv cell differential as reported by Leafspy)
    Happy Kona EV :)

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
    mho, apu and SkookumPete like this.
  6. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

There are charts from Battery University on charging habits and degradation. The longest battery life was achieved by keeping charge between 65 and 75 percent. They battery actually lasted 4000 cycles before dropping below 90% capacity. That's 1 million miles for a Kona. However, only using 10% charge is not realistic for most. On most days, I keep my charge between 60 and 80%. I have only dropped my SoC below 22% when I did a range test. I dropped it to 9% once and once to 22% and another time to 23%.
    At almost 20k miles, I have not noticed any range reduction. Right now, I'm sitting at about 250 miles range at 80% SoC..

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Same here, typically keep SOC between 60-80%, plug in every evening, the only time I deviate is when I'm on a longer trip or if I go to work at a rural site where I will charge from 20-100% mostly because it's free and they pay me while I charge :)

9. HappyKonaGirl

HappyKonaGirl New Member

I need as many miles on the range as I can get. As a home infusion nurse, I must get to all my scheduled patients & sometimes an extra one.
    That’s why I bought the Kona Ultimate.
    It gets charged to 100% every night & about once a month it gets to stay home.
    I drive conservatively, sometimes use the heat/ac, & generally arrive home with 40-60 miles left.
    In years to come I will deal with battery degradation in the way it seems best at the time.
    Probably sell it & enjoy some of the awesome technology that is sure to be available in the future.
    Btw - love all the things I learn on this forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

10. Hopefully it will be some time before degradation becomes an issue. Even if it does, your USA 2019 model comes with a lifetime battery warranty which includes replacement if that becomes necessary.
    Sounds like the perfect car to work for your requirements. :)

11. SkookumPete

SkookumPete Well-Known Member

I'm only holding onto the Kona till the Porsche Taycan comes down a little. :cool:

BC-Doc and KiwiME like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. FloridaSun

The Taycan was only rated 201 miles of range by the EPA... As long as you could live with the shorter range, the Taycan would be a great car to own..

14. SkookumPete

SkookumPete Well-Known Member

15. FloridaSun

Interesting.. looks like EPA numbers are worth little.. Kona usually gets better and Teslas usually worse than their EPA numbers at least based on some independent range tests.. Somen of the European EV's got close to their rating.

16. GPM432

GPM432 Active Member

17. There was a Porsche advertisement years ago. It went like this:

You're driving on the highway in your Porsche, your engine produces 255 hp. There approaches a car from the back, their engine producing 300 hp, slowly pulling past you. You leave your remaining 400hp where they are, in the back of your car, enjoying the ride ...

Well, at least something like that (I obviously made up those numbers). I thought it was a very cool ad.