Best Range and Lowest Mileage Remaining

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Grego, Oct 30, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Grego

Grego Member

So let's take the driving/weather factors OUT Now for a moment:

---- What is your Max Range you have achieved on a Full Charge?

--- "Range Remaining" before you decided to "charge up"

Got my Kona 2020 on Saturday 26th Oct...Drove 337km before I chickened out and decided to charge up as I only had 112km showing at remaining. Even thou it was enough for driving next day. Today however had to charge up at a Level 3 charger 2times as I knew I had a long trip ahead.

But I am sure more than one person pushed their luck on "remaining mileage" and might have ran out of juice actually. Or am I wrong?

*** obviously the 112km is a guess on the computers part ***

Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

20190719_115655.jpg 358.8 miles with 29 miles remaining on the GoM.. total of 387.8 miles range..
    1 week of commuting with AC off and 55 mph on interstate. That's 574 km with 46 km remaining range.

ericy and electriceddy like this.
  4. Grego

Grego Member

ECO(+) or Normal Mode?

5. To remove this ad click here.

6. FloridaSun

Eco Mode.. The only difference to ECO+ is that it shuts down your AC and keeps the speed limit to 60.. I didn't drive over 57 anyways on that charge, so I could have used ECO+ as well. I usually don't drive that slow on the highway but I wanted to test the car to see what range it's capable of without AC and going only 55 on the highway..
    Unless I'm in a hurry, I'm not a fast driver.. I usually drive between 60 and 70 mph on my commute on the highway. For the last 10000 miles, I have averaged 4.8 mi/kwh and that includes 2 500+ mile road trips at higher speed. 4.8 mi/kwh would indicate 307.2 mile range on average. .... 491.5 km.
    On my daily commute, I'm getting probably about 5.3 to 5.5 mi/kwh while on road trips or on weekend trips with the family, I'm getting 3.8 to 4.4 mi/kwh.
    So, based on use, my average range varies between about 250 miles and 350 miles. If I would only drive the car around town, I would certainly get about 350 miles or more in range.. Driving during my lunch break to have some food often gets me above 6 mi/kwh..

7. FloridaSun

I'm sure that any Kona owner could drive 350 miles on a charge BUT it's not easy to keep highway speed to 55 mph.. It was hard for me as 55mph is too slow but at least I know how far I can go if I ever have to make it to a charger if I'm running low on charge... It was a test to see what's possible.. Right now, the Kona estimates that I would be at 312 mile range if I charge to 100% and 250 miles at 80%... I'm in Florida, so I'll likely never use the heater unless I travel north..

8. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

I have never done a full charge - 80-90% is usually where I stop.
    It depends a lot on the roads, I guess. Out on Eastern Shore (Delaware), there are lots of rural roads with 50mph speed limits, and people tend to push it a little and drive 55. And when I go to/from the office there are 40/45mph roads. It is the bit in between part that is hard for me.

To get 350 miles on a charge, it seems like you need to be at around 6 miles/kWh.

9. FloridaSun

I got 6.0 mi/kwh when I drove 358.8 miles with 29 miles remaining.. I occasionally get up to and sometimes even over 6.0 mi/kwh on my morning commute if the traffic is backed up.. EV's love traffic jams.. efficiency goes through the roof.. I only charge to 100% if I go on road trips.. When I drive from Lakeland (Central Florida) to Fort Lauderdale, I take highway 27 to Ft. Lauderdale. It's 209 miles to the closest Level 3 charger on the route. If I have wife, kids and luggage in the car with the AC on, I usually don't get much better than 4 miles/kwh which makes it fairly close to make it to the charger there. There is only one 24/7 public Level 2 on the route and it's only about 16 amp/3kw... super slow.. So, I rather charge to 100% so that I'll make it for sure..

10. To remove this ad click here.

11. XtsKonaTrooper

XtsKonaTrooper Well-Known Member

ive gone into turtle mode just before pulling into the driveway. IMG_20190709_182509.jpg

12. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

I took mine all the way down from the "dealer charge":

. http://techno-fandom.org/~hobbit/cars/ev/runout.html

Two blinking turtles, and an apparent grace of a little under one
    kWh at the bottom. Unfortunately I didn't note the final "tank"
    mileage but I'd done extra things to burn off more energy by
    then anyway. Bottom to top gave back a guess of 330 mi.
    Actually, since I'd picked up the car with 88 miles on the clock
    and the odo showed 414 in my "empty" pix, it must have been
    around 326 ... with another mile or two wasted into HVAC abuse.

_H*

13. FloridaSun

I have not taken my car below 9% SoC and that was at 29 miles of range remaining..

14. Robbert

Robbert Active Member

My lowest so far was ~ 80 miles remaining... But I'm also the person that puts gas in the ICE car as soon as the needle hits 1/4 tank. :)
    I suspect my usual discharge / charge cycle will be 90% to 50% and back. Or maybe a little lower in the winter due to less range ...

15. Francois

Francois Active Member

Hi Greco,

Hope you are enjoying your car. Like you I only got my car this month so for the max range I'll have to wait until next summer. :)

I charged the car up to 90% (I capped it at 90% in my settings) and my GOM range says 444km without climate and 431 with climate. I find myself always doing a little better better than the GOM says. So far today I have driven for 52km with the climate on and when I arrived at the office the GOM shows that I am still good for 385km with climate on, so a few kms above this morning's initial guesstimate.

16. Thanks for that info. I will do my best to avoid a swarm of turtles . :eek:

17. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

I let others experiment to see how far you can push it. I think @Teslabjorn drove around in a parking lot until it went into turtle mode.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Inside EVs mobile app