Best choice for a used PHEV car?

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by FloridaSun, Aug 26, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

My wife's van now has over 200k miles and it on it's last leg (despite no codes appearing on the dash) and it will be time to replace it. I really don't want to spend an arm and a leg on a replacement, so even a used Bolt is out of the question. (can't find one under $20k) . She needs at least 150 mile range, and the only affordable BEV would be a Leaf, but the older LEAFs only have sub 90 mile range. I was thinking in getting a used Volt for her. She usually drives less than 40 miles in a day but sometimes, the drives up to 120 miles which would eliminate the LEAF. Is there any other EV or PHEV choice that can be found under US$ 10k?? The good thing about the VOLT is that it won't take long time to charge and I won't have to worry about the draw on my home's electrical systems of 2 cars charging at the same time.. My wife could charge first and then I charge my Kona.. We wouldn't need both cars hooked up at the same time and my EVSE could reach both cars in their respective spots in the garage.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. I haven't looked into it at all but would the Hyundai Ioniq be an option?

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

4. Ionia PHEV or the Volt if you can find one. Great car, great incentives.

5. FloridaSun

Not an option. Must be under $10k.

6. FloridaSun

Not looking to buy new. Want to buy cash.. $10k limit. You can find many Volts under $10k, some even under 60k miles.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. FloridaSun

Interesting thread but the cars discussed don't habe the range needed. My wife often can't stop for a charge on the way back as she often has to hurry to make it to our kids school to pick them up. She needs something that can go comfortably 120 miles in a day. She loves the Spark but < 90 mile range won't cut it. Unfortunately, the only option I see is the Volt unless I want to go with a used Prius..

9. Bugblndr

Bugblndr Member

I've had my CMax for 4 years and 100,000 miles now. The car still drives as smoothly and quietly as the day I drove it off the lot with zero issues at all and no warranty claims ever. It also has some get up and go and lots of creature comforts, not to mention plenty of space.

If not a Volt, I'd be looking at a CMax Energi if I were you. Based on the value of my CMax, I'd think you could find an Energi in your budget.

10. FloridaSun

Thanks! Going to do some research on the CMax.. What is the electric range on it?

11. To remove this ad click here.

12. FloridaSun

Looks like it's 20 miles range.. Not a whole lot but it definitely is an option.. Plenty of them to be found for under $10k.. Thanks

Bugblndr likes this.
  13. Bugblndr

Bugblndr Member

It doesn't have a long electric only range, but has great space and is a much more solid and better handling vehicle than either of the Prius Plug-In options IMO. It's passenger interior is the exact same as the Ford Escape, so lots of size for her and the kids coming down from a van.

14. FloridaSun

Thanks! Sounds like a great choice!

15. Had an opportunity to test drive a new Kia Niro PHEV today. I really liked the form factor and it is overall a very nice car but... it had weird lag when it transitioned from electric to gas with harder acceleration, almost gave me motion illness. The electric motor seemed relatively gutless compared to an all electric Kona, also very little regen. I think my wife would like it just fine. That said I think if a Niro EV was available it might just sway me away from my Kona order.

16. FloridaSun

Right now, it looks like the wife wants a BMW i3 REX. They can be found as cheap as $15k for a 2014.. Don't really want to spend more than $17k.. Doubt that I can get a Niro PHEV for that amount..

17. I can understand why someone who can't afford an EV that provides the mileage they require would opt for a used hybrid instead. But I cannot understand why anyone would buy a new hybrid. The Earth doesn't need more hybrids, it needs more EV's. I hope you do get either the Kona electric or Niro EV, both are excellent choices, but please don't get a hybrid.

18. Yeah, I don't think a hybrid makes a lot of sense. You completely give up on the advantage of no needed maintenance.

So you get to keep all the disadvantages of an ice car in an EV.

19. No doubt its a compromise. I suppose If one mostly drove an urban cycle under 40 km a day a PHEV like the Niro would be perfectly fine and you could drive pretty much electric for around 15 grand less than a full EV Niro or Kona. I'm still patiently waiting for my Kona to be built in the next 6-8 weeks and I really just wanted to get a feel for the Niro in electric mode. Even the PHEVs are uncommon in my parts so it was a nice opportunity to try.

20. There are some pretty cheap used EVs down there in the US, depending on where you live. Having said that, should be even cheaper HEV and PHEV cars as well. Depends on your needs/wants and your budget.

I traded in a Prius C for my Kona EV. That was a great little car, and wife had a hard time giving it up for the Kona (very happy now though). Those must be really dirt cheap down there.

21. You can get a used Fiat 500e or BMW i3 starting at ~8000 to 15000 when with really low miles on it and even recent years (2017). There are awesome deals out there if you're ok with a small City hopper.

22. FloridaSun

My wife usually drives less than 80 miles in a day except for maybe once a month when she needs about 120 miles of range. On an I3 REX, she would probably only use the range extender about once a month or so.. If the gas engine isn't used too much, it minimizes maintenance on it. The only long range EV that you can get for close to my price range is the Bolt. I have seen them sub $16000 but more commonly, you have to pay $17k to $18k for a good used one.. With tax, that would be close to $20k and I don't want to spend that amount as I don't want to take out a loan on the car. I should have about $17k cash available by February. Maybe, I'll be able to find a used Bolt in that price range but the cheaper examples are usually in California and I would have to fly out there to check it out as I won't buy a used car without seeing and driving it first.