Best Charge Networks West Cost USA

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by hwitten, Dec 5, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Loose plans for trip south from Vancouver BC to California.
    Have secured an EvGo and ChargePoint account.

Is there another I should get? In general, which network is best for the Kona? I.e. most economical. Planning on DCFC to keep charge time to minimum.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. I think there's a good amount of electrify America stations on that route, but they can be expensive since it puts you in tier 2 pricing if the charger isn't one of the 50kw ones.

4. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

I checked the route using Plugshare, Electrify and Chargepoint apps.. There is a decent 50kw charger coverage on the route for chargepoint which would be your cheapest option.. Electrify has the best coverage but you'll be 3 to 4 times more than at Chargepoint.. EVgo has spotty coverage on the route and their units are often only 40kw and slower than the chargepoint 50kw chargers. If you want to safe money, I would use the Chargepoint network.. If you want the fastest charging speed, use Electrify but expect to pay 3 times than what you'll pay at Chargepoint.

Wyldstyle likes this.
  5. Thank you. All seems to be a bit of a crap-shoot. Certainly would be easier if time pricing would go away. Seems sticking with 50kwh chargers is playing it safe. Definitely more planning involved that travelling by ICE :)
    ChargePoint not playing nice with 3rd parties it seems. No pricing in A Better Route Planner and Plugshare mentions it in the details. Maybe it'll shake itself out by Spring and make travelling easier.
    Are PlugShare and ABRP the most popular (best) sources to help with planning?

6. I use PlugShare but I haven't done anything more than a 2 hour drive so far. Just try to think of when you'd like to stop in relation to maybe a rest or eating. Do that when possible, so you are killing 2 birds with one stone.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Yeah, I think that’s where the extra planning has to be done to minimize twiddling ones thumbs during charge. In my sample trip to Stockton there is about 5+ hours of charging. Overnight at an EV friendly hotel would also help.
    Want to try it at least once :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

9. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

Sign up for free at the chargepoint app.. prices are low if you charge with chargepoint app.. some of them are $6 per session which is very cheap. Using the Chargepoint app, it will give you detailed pricing.

10. I do have the chargePoint app as I have their charger at home. Some detailed armchair planning next :)

11. I have driven from Southern California up through Oregon (Bend and Eugene area) and back. I used EVgo, Charge Point and Electrify America. Planed my trip using Plug share. Stayed at two hotels with free charging and also charged at my relative house when I stayed with them. Used dryer outlets for charging. For me, I left early, first stop breakfast, second stop lunch, third stop dinner then on to a hotel or family. I easily covered over 600 miles a day. Total trip was 2200 miles. I would plan my charging destination which also included a back up charge station about 30 mile earlier then the preferred destination. I only need a back up charger location once do to heavy rain, steep hills, and stiff head wind.

12. To remove this ad click here.