Battery life and replacement costs

Discussion in 'Chevrolet' started by riopolic, Mar 11, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. riopolic

riopolic New Member

Hello everyone,,
    I have been looking at the economics of EV ownership. I've narrowed it down to the Bolt or the Volt. My typical drive is about 50-60 miles a day. At that rate, a 100,000/8 year warranty expires in 5 1/2 years if I purchase new. The thing I can't get a good answer on is the out of warranty replacement of batteries. That has to be figured into the cost of ownership. Does anyone know?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. marshall

marshall Well-Known Member

I think replacing the traction battery is going to be the least of your issues with the Chevy Bolt.

I suggest you go to a couple of Chevy Bolt forums and do a bit of research. There may be someone who has had the battery replaced under warranty and might know the cost. You will certainly find some discussion on the traction battery degradation.

Again, I suspect you are worrying about the traction battery for nothing. A bigger issue I believe is the seats for the amount of driving you do. If you can rent a Chevy Bolt for the day, I sure would. If you live close to a major airport, you might try Turo to see if there is a Chevy Bolt to rent. Renting a 2018 or newer one would be best as there has been some minor improvement on the seats over the 2017 model.

4. riopolic

riopolic New Member

Thank you my issue has been solved,...