Anyone do a Map'n'Soft update for 2020 Ultimate yet? (Canadian)

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by hwitten, Jan 6, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. My current Map version is 12.47.44.510.205.3.
    Website says 13.5 available but it's not really clear to interpret the actual versions since they use xxx for the minor numbers.

It did register the correct car for the VIN and on placing an 'order' it offered up a download.
    Did that and am currently into building the update. Unfortunately I had to build it on a USB stick, which I will then transfer to an SD.

Do I have to use the SD from the car or can a build on a blank one?

Have seen a few posts of updates not going smooth, hence the question for feedback from more recent map update experiences.

Building the update, after download, is taking a loooooonnnnng time. Is it worth it or do I actually have the equivalent of 13.5? Still pondering wether to actually do the update.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Missed the edit time :)
    Went to look for the SD card in the Ultimate to see what kind it was. Decided to build another install direct to SD.
    I must be having a bad day (night actually) as I cannot see where the SD card is hiding.
    No luck/help in manuals. They send you to the dealer for map updates.
    Hopefully someone has found the hiding place :)

Alejo likes this.
  4. mikeselectricstuff

mikeselectricstuff Active Member

Under the little flap under the screen

5. No little flappy thing I can find anywhere on the 10.25 screen or around it.

6. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

They must have moved it. It is theoretically possible that it now takes a USB stick. I can suggest a couple of things. One, when you download the thing, there ought to be a couple of instruction PDF files that you can download. That might tell you something.

The manual that came with the car will probably tell you as well.

When I updated mine, I used a new SD card. I just replaced the one that the car came with. In my case, there was a software update of some sort that it also performed, and then it was done and I could go about my way.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Tim94549

Tim94549 Active Member

Yep, no SD CARD anymore on the 2020 model. Not sure how we would do this other than via USB stick when the time comes. I'll have to cross this bridge when BLUELINK expires in 2.8 years. :)

9. Guess that explains the not finding it and why no mention of an SD card in docs.
    I think I'm going wait for next version. I thought the website may just be behind in not mentioning MY2020 since it offered an update based on my make/model/yyyy but perhaps it was just MY19.
    Oh well, now I know how it goes and how long it takes.
    Hopefully the next update will come with directions that pertain to the 'no SD anymore'.

10. SkookumPete

SkookumPete Well-Known Member

There have been two updates on the 2019 model, neither of them of importance except for the addition of Mexico. For my region at least, the maps and POI's are seriously out of date and no charging stations are shown except a few very old L2s. Hyundai has really dropped the ball here in not delivering a big selling point of the car.

Anyway, you have the latest version and hopefully we can look for improvements, since the low quality must be a source of complaint from many Hyundai/Kia buyers.

11. Maybe they'll surprise us by adding OTA updates to BlueLink to encourage us to keep it after expiry. They get the maps from HERE.com, same as my Volvo and probably many others. Probably just wishful thinking though :)

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. On the topic of map updates: I have never done an update. That whole process just sounds awful. But, when I got the car, my maps were 2D side scrolling "flat" maps. Now they are tilted, forced perspective maps. How did this happen with no manual updates and no facility for OTA updates?!

Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
  14. mikeselectricstuff

mikeselectricstuff Active Member

I think it's a setting in the nav system somewhere

15. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

I believe that the map update also includes some software update for the navi.

16. The software updates happen twice a year around March/April and September/October.
    With the map updates, the software for the Mediascreen can be updated. It is NOT possible to update the cars driving system software with the SD-Card update!
    The cars software can only be updated by a dealer connecting directly into the cars system.

17. Tim94549

Tim94549 Active Member

I find that crazy, imho ... I mean, yea, no longer an SD Card to perform the MAP updates ... however there IS a USB input... I wish we could download & update using a USB Stick or something. I don't want to have to take the vehicle into the $Stealership ever 6 months just to get Map updates !!!

18. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

With my Volvo, it was done with a USB stick. It was kind of slow - that car only had USB-2, but it eventually did the job.

If you log into the mapnsoft site, it ought to give you instructions for how to update the maps. If I recall correctly, I even had the option for my 2019 of purchasing a new SD card that was pre-loaded. Are there any instructions there for the 2020 cars? Or are the VIN numbers not yet registered with that site?

19. SkookumPete

SkookumPete Well-Known Member

I believe it was on a Korean site that I saw a reference to OTA map updates for the 2020 model in that market. Maybe this is the global plan, the SD card no longer being supported.

20. Anyone hear anything as to how maps will be updated in MY2020?
    Hopefully not by being forced to do a dealer visit.

21. Tim94549

Tim94549 Active Member

I believe that the MAP Updates due end of this month. Will be interesting to see/experience the "process" for MY2020 Ultimate. I also really hope we're not required to go to the dealer.

22. I have the same version number as you, 12.47.44.510.205.3. My MapnSoft account says "Your car is up to date. No update available."

This version list shows the Kona EV as NAM.12.47.44.510.105.4 and v13.5. Looks pretty close to ours.

23. Checked the Canadian MapCare site and it now shows a notice that Version 14 will be released late April.

Toolworker and SkookumPete like this.