Annoyances Thread

Discussion in 'Kia Niro' started by David T in Silicon Valley, Jun 6, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Here is my little nit. Why do many cars (not just Kias) assume that if I turn on the car, I want the radio on? Or if I am disconnect my mobile device, even if it was not playing anything, that I want to hear radio.

I get leaving it however it was left when the car was shut off, but the auto turn on grates on me every time I am in a quiet mood and start it up (or am on the phone and start it up, etc).

Robert Bratton, Fastnf and Kerbe like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Hedge

Hedge Member

Here are mine in no particular order.

No way to set auto hold on automatically
    No true one pedal driving
    When I want to open the passenger car door, and it is locked if the drivers door is unlock when I press the unlock button on the passenger door it locks the car
    When charging hasn't finished having to unlock the car to remove the charge cable regardless if the car is locked or not.
    Not being able to lock the doors while the key fob is outside of the car and it is running.

Robert Bratton likes this.
  4. RDA

RDA Member

5. RDA

RDA Member

You must have something set wrong. I have had my car for over a year and I have never had the radio come on when I turn the car on. I do turn the radio off before exiting the vehicle.

6. Thanks for the tip, RDA, it got me to RTFM! I found this in the UVO system manual on page 1-6: Screen Shot 2020-06-26 at 10.14.07 AM.png
    This implies I can't actually force it to be off .

I played with settings though and now it does stay off...even when I return the settings to what they were! I am going to chalk this up to some weird flipped bit someplace that messing with the sound settings fixed.

There are some cool features in that menu, including one that adjusts sound up or down with vehicle speed. I am going to try that out.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Paul Humphrey

Paul Humphrey New Member

I feel the same. I have learned to remember to switch off the audio prior to turning off the car so it is off for when I start back up next time.

In my Fiat 500e there is an option to change the default so the radio doesn’t come on when you switch on. If my Niro has that I haven’t found it yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

9. cixelsyd

cixelsyd New Member

Why does my recirculate keep automatically turning on and off? We have fires up here in the PNW right now and I want as much smoke as possible to stay outside the car. Stupid "smart" climate control. This is with "Auto" turned off.

10. In the US, the government requires the recirc to turn off after a while. The theory is that you could run out of "air" if it is never replenished every so often and/or you could get carbon monoxide in the car and it could not get out.

I found this in my audi some time ago, and had to change the country code for the HVAC to Japan to allow recirc to stay on forever.

Greg

11. Hedge

Hedge Member

You can set it to stay on. Press the home button. Make sure the climate control if off. Hold down the a.c. button and press the recirculate button 5 times it will flash a few time. It will now stay on. It might be six times. It is discussed somewhere else on this forum

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. I found the thread, the instructions are a little different:

"To cancel or reset the Automatic Ventilation
    When the air conditioning system is on, select Face Level mode and press the recirculated air position button more than five times within 3 seconds, while pressing the A/C button. When the automatic ventilation is canceled, the indicator blinks 3 times. When the automatic ventilation system is activated, the indicator blinks 6 times."

But a small difference the blinking is 2 times or 5 times, the rest of the procedure is correct.... note you must start with the AC on, not off, and make sure you move the air position to face level.

In any case, thank you very much for this...

Greg

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
    electriceddy likes this.
  14. Hedge

Hedge Member

I couldn't find the post or I would have just linked it. It sometimes reverts back. Not sure why.

15. I found it with the search function.

16. tonycpsu

tonycpsu New Member

Some annoyances I haven't seen mentioned so far in my 2019 EX Premium Launch Edition (US):

1. Lack of a conventional key-based remote start function. Yeah, UVO is adequate, but you have to pay extra, and it takes a lot longer to sign into the app and turn on the climate than it would to push a button on the key fob. I'd pay more than what they charge for UVO remote start to get this.
    2. Lack of memory function for seats, mirrors, radio presets, etc.
    3. The order of radio presets when cycling with the steering wheel reverses depending on what screen you're on in the AV system. If you're on radio / SirusXM, it goes visually with the order of the presets, where up on the steering wheel button goes to the previous preset, and down on the steering wheel button goes to the next preset. If you're in another screen, e.g. nav, climate, suddenly it reverses. So I have to look down at the screen to remember which way I'm going when I cycle presets. Terrible!
    4. Pressing the volume steering wheel button mutes. Great! Pressing the up/down preset button... wait, there's nothing there? What about play/pause? What about toggling between next/prev preset and next/prev channel?
    5. The power button. Four modes: off (light off), accessory (yellow light), on (red light), and running (no light). Wait, the power button looks exactly the same when the car is off as when it's started and ready to drive? What? OK, so the little drive icon is on the display when it's running, but why put a light there if it means two different things?

17. I would say about the remote start, that a fob based system would not replace the broadband data driven one from the app... I like to remote start the car while in the store, the app works, a key fob would not have the range....

Agree on the rest for sure.

Greg

18. jeff_h

jeff_h Member

An annoyance for me may not be specific to the Niro but may be the same on all Kias. The "panic" button on the key fob seems to be positioned in a way that makes it easy to activate while the fob is in the pants pocket. I can't remember the panic going off on any of my previous cars, but on this one I think it's now been 4x in the 9 months that I've had the car.

19. tonycpsu

tonycpsu New Member

Oh, that's a good one. Only happened to me one so far but the annoyance level is very high when it's going off!

In my last car I was able to open up the key fob and stick an object in there to keep the button from activating. Is anyone aware of such a mod for Kia Niro EV key fobs?

20. Look for the threads on fixing the fob... I did mine... no more problems...

jeff_h likes this.
  21. jeff_h

jeff_h Member

22. I put some high density foam between the silver plastic "button" and the frame. You can still press the button and unlock, but it takes a lot of pressure.

I did not like using something hard since the button no longer works. I still occasionally trip the panic button, but not often enough to worry.

I also added the rubber cover you can get from Amazon for a few bucks, mitigated the false panic trips a bit.

Greg

23. CR EV

CR EV Active Member

The silicon fob cover I got from Amazon fixed it for me:
    upload_2020-10-29_13-55-31.png upload_2020-10-29_13-55-31.png