An issue with bluetooth voice call quality in a Honda Clarity

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by nymphaeles, Jul 5, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. nymphaeles

nymphaeles Member

Does anyone experience a weird background noise over a bluetooth call from inside a Honda Clarity? It sounds like water draining down the pipe. My wife told me that while I was calling her from the car, but I had no idea how it sounded. Then she called me from the car today and I realized what she meant. Whoever is in the car does not have the weird sound, only the party who is outside the car has that weird sound. That noise was so bad at some points during the conversation so that I couldn't even hear her.

Rajiv Vaidyanathan likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. ClarityDoc

ClarityDoc Active Member

My wife has remarked that the phone clarity on my Clarity is the best I've had (compared to any prior car). I suspect something specific to your setup. Does this happen with wired connection (CarPlay/Android Auto) as well?

4. nymphaeles

nymphaeles Member

Hmm, what setup you mean to say? Bluetooth means to be a master/slave wireless connection.

5. ClarityDoc

ClarityDoc Active Member

Any component can have flaws - I just meant the specific components and configuration (but it sounds like it's happening with more than one phone, so it's likely to be something intrinsic to the car).

6. To remove this ad click here.

7. nymphaeles

nymphaeles Member

I suspect that the problem is somewhere with my Honda Clarity.
    It's true that any components could be the source of the issue: the Bluetooth interface in the car, the microphone, or the phones. Only that I have been using my phones for a couple of years in a Toyota 4runner with no issue, and many years before that with different iPhones, Android phones with that same Toyota 4runner and a Highlander, also with no issues.

8. ClarityDoc

ClarityDoc Active Member

I haven't disagreed. Just saying my Clarity doesn't have this problem.

9. ManKo

ManKo Member

Same problem here. Seems to be worst at higher speeds (40+ mph). I think it’s road noise.

10. nymphaeles

nymphaeles Member

Is there an option to upload a recording I have for the Honda Clarity Bluetooth background noise? If not I may look into a YouTube, and that would have a much larger audience.

I have already reported to problem to a Honda dealer where I bought my car. They took the car in for about an hour, and came out telling me that they could not duplicate the issue with background noise. But I let them hear the recording, and they turned around and told me that they could order a microphone, and have me to bring the car back for replacing it for the car. On the repair bill, Honda tech at the dealer stated that there is no issue. I am not in agreement with this statement.
    @Honda
    If there is a Honda rep on this forum, I'd like to here from you.

11. To remove this ad click here.

12. tgifko

tgifko New Member

I have 2018 Honda Clarity with same bluetooth issue. It sound clear on my end but other end of phone, hearing water flowing sound, engine noise etc. It is very annoying sound. It happens only if you driving over 40 miles. I took it to dealer, they cannot duplicate the issues and they will not replace bluetooth or microphone. I use bluetooth a lot and only way to communicate is put phone on speaker phone. I used this phone on Dodge Grand Caravan and bluetooth sound clear and no problems whatsoever. Dealer rep said Honda clarity is cheap car and does not come with fancy noise block system. I am so frustrated and and don't know what to do. Please help.

13. ClarityBill

ClarityBill Active Member

I think I have the same noise problem on my bluetooth connection, but I have switched to using the CarPlay system, and phone quality it clear.

Can you plug into CarPlay to solve your phone problem?

14. craze1cars

craze1cars Well-Known Member

This is typical Honda, not Clarity exclusive. Bluetooth is tinny and poor sound. But plug the phone in and let it work on AppleCarPlay and all is clear and good. That’s the only solution...don’t use Bluetooth. Plug it in.

15. PaulH

PaulH New Member

Same problem with my wife's Clarity but the sound is more of a womp womp womp womp womp when the car is a highway speed. We gave up and bought a Plantronics headset but, even though the iPhone is not connected to the car, the pairing between the phone and headset disconnects when she gets in the car. She has a 40 minute commute and uses bluetooth a lot but other parties ask her not to call from the Clarity.

16. tgifko

tgifko New Member

My phone is Samsung Note 8, Android it does not play phone sound option, only bluetooth. They need to issue recall on blutooth issues.

17. jdonalds

jdonalds Well-Known Member

Galaxy S9+ works fine with Clarity. Both in the car and for the person on the other end. We always use Bluetooth, not Andriod Auto.

ClarityDoc likes this.
  18. The Gadgeteer

The Gadgeteer Active Member

I have a Honda CRV and a Honda Clarity.
    I have a similar issue right away when I got the Clarity. The dealer told me to delete the phone from the car AND delete the car from the phone and pair again. Skeptically I did as he said and surprisingly it work!

Oddly a few days later when switching back to the CRV I had the issue in the CRV even though I never had the issue in 3 years. I went through the same process and it also worked.

I don’t know the reason behind it. I never heard what the distortion sounded like on the other end but it could be the same issue. I hope this fix works for others.

Texas22Step and KentuckyKen like this.
  19. nymphaeles

nymphaeles Member

I gave up with fighting Honda on this issue. I opened a ticket #08826578 with them, no repsponse no care whatsoever. I opened a ticket with BBB #633966 on this same issue. BBB in turn, opened a ticket to Honda on my behalf, no response no care either. I brought my car to two different Honda dealers on multiple trips, same answer on all visits: "couldn't duplicate the issue". Shame on you Honda, first and last Honda purchase for me. I feel like I'm being scammed.

20. The Gadgeteer

The Gadgeteer Active Member

I guess the fix that worked for me did not work for you. I am sorry you are having trouble.

21. nymphaeles

nymphaeles Member

I guess Honda can't win hearts with this kind of crappy work and services. It's Honda's reputation is at stake here.
    At $40K+ for a Clarity Touring, they should know that I have plenty of choices out there. I chose Honda, and they chose to screw up my trust. That's gonna my last mistake I make with them.

22. ClarityDoc

ClarityDoc Active Member

"$40k+"?
    I realize this varies, but I paid a lot less than that a year ago for my touring, and then got a big reduction in taxes.

My Bluetooth works fine if I avoid other concurrent BT connections. Not perfect.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Inside EVs mobile app

The Gadgeteer likes this.