Air conditioner

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by popnfrresh, Jul 27, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. popnfrresh

popnfrresh Member

So the air conditioner decides it can come on even when the AC button is off.

How do you set the ac off and just the fans?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Just turn the round fan knob to the right ( right hand side of HVAC console)

4. KonaTom

KonaTom Well-Known Member

You can also push the fan button to the right of the off button to cycle through fan directions (push off first). Then select fan speed with the knob as electriceddy mentioned. If you push almost any other button the system will auto select AC or heat depending on temperatures.

5. Lol, to answer your question, yes it does, and the heat does a similar thing in winter. It seems a bit random but I think a 7°C difference ambient v.s. temp setting triggers the heat. Haven't tested the AC, too bloody cold here.

Press "off" and fans only will be on despite no lights showing. Press off again (if I recall correctly) and the fan goes off. Press "driver only" and it restricts the fan to that side only.

It's either brilliant or untested, can't decide which.

Kamloops_KoNa likes this.
  6. If you're using the knob to adjust temperature in the cabin then AC or Heat would come on "by themselves" in order to attain the set temperature.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

I know exactly what youbare talking about.. Has happened to me 2 times ready.. AC was off and blower was on and suddenly, AC would kick in even though the display and the indicator showed that it was off.

9. Correction, 'Driver only' toggles like the other buttons to both sides, fan going. Off is off other than natural airflow.

The heat/AC issue seems to be apparent at startup only for me.

10. SkookumPete

SkookumPete Well-Known Member

When I was re-examining the buttons mentioned here, I noticed that Climate is the only button in the group that doesn't actually change anything, and the only screen-control button that is not mounted on the screen. Maybe that's why I've never used it.

11. It displays climate settings on the multimedia screen only 15:32 of this video:

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. popnfrresh

popnfrresh Member

Still cant figure out how to fan only.

Off - kills everything.
    Using only the right fan speed will eventually turn on the ac no matter what. I feel like if I put the temp to 80 and its 70 outside, the ac comes on anyway also.

14. You can turn on the knob which is situated on the right side of the HVAC Console.

15. There are some important things to know if you want "fan" but no heat or a/c. First, get it started by turning the fan knob (the one on the right) either clockwise or counter clockwise. Second, make sure the air is NOT set to defrost/defog. Pick any other setting (feet only; feet and top; middle vent, etc). Second, If either heat or a/c or both come on, just tap on those lights to turn them off. You should now have the fan blowing without either heat or a/c coming on. But one important caveat. If the fog sensor senses fog on the windshield, it will change the setting to defrost/defog and turn heat and/or a/c on. You will now have to change the air setting to some other direction and THEN turn off heat and/or a/c. Always change the air direction first! Once you have overriden the computer, it should just keep your setting. I hope this works for you.

16. SkookumPete

SkookumPete Well-Known Member

Honestly, it's a dark art.

There are some nuggets on p. 3-126 of the US manual (p. 3-136 in Canada). You can enable or disable auto defogging by long-pressing the defogging button. But once it's kicked in, other climate controls are disabled.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
    electriceddy likes this.