Aide View Mirror Noise

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Stickyman, Mar 11, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Stickyman

Stickyman New Member

So, I have started to here a light whistling noise while driving over 40 mph every now and then. I took painters tape and taped up sections and it turns out that the noise is coming from the gap in the mirror. Has anyone had this happen. I would like to be prepared before I go for my first service. It developed over time. Thanks in advance!

NP27 and Wildeyed like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. They swivel. Have you tried adjusting? Maybe debris in the gap? Just spitballing.

Shark likes this.
  4. Stickyman

Stickyman New Member

I haven’t seen anything in there but I will spray some compressed air in and see. Thanks!

5. I've been getting a whistling noise for months now, usually at speeds between around 50-65 km/h. I popped into a dealership the one time and they looked it over but couldn't find anything glaringly obvious. They told me to mention it when I bring it in for it's first service and they'll try looking into it in more detail. I thought it was from around the door frame somewhere - never thought about the mirror. I'll have to check that out and see if any adjustments are possible.

6. Stickyman

Stickyman New Member

I covered various locations with the painter’s tape then read about Nissan Altimas that had the same noise and subsequently the same exact mirror design. I can’t really drive around with tape though!

NP27 likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Stickyman

Stickyman New Member

I sprayed the compressed air and it really didn’t help unfortunately. But if I open my window and put my hands over the opening I can harmonize different sounds! I will mention it when I go in but I doubt they will do anything.

9. Stickyman

Stickyman New Member

Just an update. I put small pieces of thin rubber(from a bike light) in between the grooves and it minimizes the noise. It is the air rushing through the grooves of the mirror causing the sound for me. Maybe too much space acting like a reed. Once I am out of lockdown I will visit a dealer.

NP27 and electriceddy like this.
  10. Maybe try some weather stripping material modified to fit.
    I will keep this in mind once I schedule the tapping noise repairs as that is more predominant to my ears right now.

11. I've been putting little strips of electrical tape along the gaps to try and narrow it down. I had some along the top, but that made little difference, so I removed it. This is what I have left, so still some narrowing down to do, although the problem seems to be either from the front or slightly below. If/when I figure it out more precisely, I'll look into a more aesthetically pleasing solution. And, I see from these photos my car needs a wash!
    IMG_20200418_105626.jpg IMG_20200418_105631.jpg

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Maybe the whistling noise will scare the deer away:D
    Just trying to look on the bright side...

mho and NP27 like this.
  14. Stickyman

Stickyman New Member

Don’t know if you can see from the photo but I have two thin strips of rubber. One right under the mirror and the other closer to the car. I had to make sure that they do not impede the pins that hold the mirror in place. They are not fixed so when they degrade they could be replaced and the move minimally when the mirror is opened or closed.

Once I get to a dealer and they hear the sound I am sure they will replace. Mine got louder as time went on. Now all I hear is the wind noise.

Attached Files:

NP27 likes this.