Advanced Summon Useful??

Discussion in 'General' started by David Green, Aug 11, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. David Green

David Green Well-Known Member

Watching this video I see why Elon said the feature sucks, Lets see, does not slow for speed bumps, or stop signs, crosses parking areas, and does not follow designated driving lanes in the lot to start off, and this is an a very controlled lot with no other cars in motion, love to see a redo in the Costco parking lot on a Saturday (or other realistic scenario). Tesla has a long ways to go on this feature as I am pretty sure Ray Charles could do better in a parking lot, it would be hard to do worse. Robotaxies at the end of this year, Yeah, right....

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

I did my first summons at an empty corner of a parking lot. The car moved about 10 ft and stopped. A couple of segments and it will work for me.

I’m not expecting any more than to get out of two, closely parked vehicles on either side.

Bob Wilson

4. David Green

Bob, I thought you posted on here a few times that you bought basic autopilot which does not include Summon, did I misunderstand? or did you buck up for FSD?

Anyhow the feature looks pretty useless to me and another feature Elon missed the timeline on...

5. bwilson4web

Summon (Beta) is in the current version. I figured it make sense to give it a try.

Bob Wilson

6. bwilson4web

Sorry about what should have been "it made sense to give it a try." I also have Navigate on Autopilot (Beta) and it works well enough but not $3-8k better. I might buy a 14-30 day "test drive" but I have V2.5 hardware.

So far, there are several issues with AutoPilot that makes me unlikely to upgrade:
    • Read and respond to stop lights, yield, and stop signs.
    • Let me set TACC (i.e., cruise control) to my current speed. Currently it uses the Google Maps speed including 45 mph on my residential speed, normally 25 mph. I don't mind it setting my speed lower but object to it speeding up.
    • Read and respond to local speed signs.
    • Recognize stopped school and city buses.
    • Recognize emergency vehicles and get out of the way and stopped.
    I'm not too happy with the silent Sentry mode. I would prefer it do a short 'beep' if the potential threat goes on for 15 seconds or more.

Bob Wilson

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. David Green

One other big issue with A/P shown here, see link below; Bob, we like you and do not want to see your model 3 to burn up... Funny thing, I just read an article last week that Model 3 pack will not have complete thermal runaway due to design and foam fill, hmmm, that looks pretty well full runaway to me, in a fairly minor accident that only impacted one corner of the vehicle, and below the speed limit. See all camera angles which show the accident and explosions.

https://insideevs.com/news/364609/tesla-model-3-crash-explosion-autopilot/

9. David Green

BTW, my E-Tron reads road signs quite well, even temporary construction zone speed limits. It has surprised me a few times with sudden deceleration when entering a construction zone.

10. bwilson4web

Our BMW i3-REx cruise control reads speed signs but I still change the cruise speed manually.

Bob Wilson

11. bwilson4web

My understanding is the driver and kids got out of the car safely. The driver got a broken leg and he and his kids watched the car burn up. Given the complaints about Tesla repairs, burning up was probably a blessing.

Bob Wilson

David Green likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. David Green

Yes, a small glancing blow on the corner broke the drivers leg, and destroyed the car. As you can see in the accident video the impact was not all that heavy, and most of the cars energy was dissipated by bouncing off. In an ICE car with a similar accident there very low probability of fire as the front left corner does not contain fuel lines, etc.. Autopilot failure, and Battery safety failure is clear. Wow, that smoke from the foam burning, how many diesels does it take to put that many harmful pollutants into the air?

14. David Green

I usually speed in freeway construction zones, the Audi corrects that for me.

15. bwilson4web

Road construction takes so long the reduced speed shows up in the Google database.

Bob Wilson