Adaptive/smart cruise control and trim levels

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by FergusH, Feb 17, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. FergusH

FergusH New Member

Hi all,

I’m new here and I’m interested in the Kona EV. I read several reviews of the Kona that stated that the base model does come with adaptive cruise control - the car will speed up and slow down to maintain its distance to the car in front - but that the Ultimate trim is needed to upgrade the adaptive cruise control to one that can bring the car to a complete halt and start it again.

However, if I look at Kia’s website, it implies that only the Ultimate trim comes with any form of adaptive cruise control. The dealer I went to didn’t seem to know, nor did Hyundai’s chat line. Ugh!

Can anyone give me a definitive answer? After using it in other cars, adaptive cruise control is must-have feature for me.

Thanks!
    Fergus

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. In the US only the Ultimate version comes with adaptive cruse control. The Limited and
    SEL versions have standard cruise control and separately lane keeping assist which keeps the car between lines or gives a warning if crossing a line. They all have some version of forward collision avoidance but it is not speed following only emergency breakeing

4. SkookumPete

SkookumPete Well-Known Member

In Canada, the 2020 Preferred comes with the same package of radar-based features as the Ultimate. Edit: for the Preferred, the spec is "Adaptive Cruise Control w/ Start-Stop".

PS on the US site, for the Limited no mention is made of cruise control except for the buttons, while for the Essential they specify adaptive CC with stop-and-go.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
  5. In New Zealand all versions get this useful feature.

6. Fergus, it would be helpful knowing where your located. That said I think Hyundai uses the "Ultimate" trim level monikers only in North America. If you are in the US the stop and go feature is available only on the Ultimate, in Canada its available on the Preferred and Ultimate and not on the Essential model.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. SkookumPete

SkookumPete Well-Known Member

Yeah, like I said. :p But I haven't seen anything to suggest that "stop and go" or "start-stop" is anything but a standard part of adaptive cruise control.

9. I am not sure if that answered Fergus's question but I agree with you that "start and stop" or "stop and go" is synonymous with radar based adaptive cruise control in the Kona EV. I guess to clarify in the US only the Ultimate trim level has adaptive cruise control with "stop and go", limited and SEL models only have conventional cruise control. In Canada adaptive cruise with "stop and go" is in the Ultimate and Preferred models, the Essential model has conventional cruise control.

10. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler New Member

I think the other aspect of the question is are there two tiers of adaptive: one that will slow down to a point and another that can completely stop the vehicle and start again once traffic is moving. Our Honda Odyssey can slow down with traffic but it gives up below 35 or so mph and tells the driver to figure it out. From what I've read (looking to get a Kona later this year) it seems like the kona has either full stop and go capability or not adaptive at all, correct?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Inside EVs mobile app

11. That is correct. Either you have smart cruise control with stop and go (US the Ultimate trim) or you don't ( US the Limited and SEL trims)

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. There are different types of adaptive cruise control in other vehicles but in the Kona EV in North America its just adaptive cruise control or conventional cruise control.

14. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler New Member