2019 Kona EV limited

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by janusz Grabon, Jul 30, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. I own Hyundai Kona limited my question is : it is advisable to tun a car in utility mode all the time , next how to turn off
    2.It is any possibility to add functions to vehicle by software update?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. SkookumPete

SkookumPete Well-Known Member

Utility mode is only for running accessories such as AC when the main system is off, so as not to deplete the 12v battery. It turns off when you start the car.

The map updates, discussed on another thread, include at least minor software updates. Since I believe you don't have navigation, these may not be available to you. Ask your dealer.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2019
  4. It is my understanding that utility mode will recharge the 12V battery through the on board inverter- DC to DC (like the aux battery saver setting-without the 10 top ups and then shut off by default) as well as HVAC usage.
    I have being toying with the idea of installing an inverter off the 12V battery terminals for power loss at home back up (maybe 2500W) to keep the freezer going during power outage, and feel the vehicle would have to be set to this mode to provide a constant re-charge to the aux battery.
    Plans are temp on hold until the outcome of the Exploding Kona investigation.
    Sure could use a copy of the service manual.:(

eastpole likes this.
  5. dborn

dborn New Member

Exploding Kona or not, I would recommend against connecting a 12v -> 120V inverter to run a freezer for even a short amount of time for the following reasons:
    The inefficiencies of going ~350V -> 12V -> 120V
    2500W at 12V is over 200A! I'm sure the car's built-in inverter would be overwhelmed by it as well as the tiny 12V battery itself.
    And last but not least, when a freezer compressor starts, it draws much more current for a split second than when it is running.

I would suggest a suitably sized backup generator or specifically built UPS. At most you would run the risk of damaging 1000$ worth of equipment instead of 40000$

6. Thanks for the advice however it didn't stop this guy:
    https://www.timescolonist.com/news/local/electric-car-buff-uses-vehicle-to-power-saanich-house-during-storm-1.2217922
    More info about Leaf DC-DC here:
    https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=8252#p182295
    This company supplies one for Volt
    https://www.evextend.com/Gen2-Chevrolet-Volt-Kit.php
    As mentioned I need more info aka service manual before going ahead and trying something similar.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. dborn

dborn New Member

It would probably be alot safer* to connect directly to the car's traction battery and then go from 350v dc to 120v ac. To each their own, you guys are more adventurous than I am... :eek:
    Unless I could buy an approved and certified kit to do that, I wouldn't risk property and human lives for an admittedly cool and useful tool.

* I don't mean safe, just safer but for the car itself and not necessarily the operator...
    Imagine your Kona explodes for reasons external to your setup and the investigators find out you had this connected to your car... It's pretty much garanteed that your car and house insurance won't cover it... Call me chicken!

Last edited: Aug 4, 2019