2016 Kia Soul EV

Discussion in 'Kia Soul EV' started by LegoZ, Jun 14, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. LegoZ

LegoZ Active Member

A small addition to the family, I am cross posting this as it was posted to the Clarity sub-forum. I traded our 2017 Kia Niro Hybrid in on this. Since purchase I have found out it’s received a new 12v battery , traction battery, steering rack, in board charger and ac compressor.
    F344878B-9094-464F-A165-E49D1380F80D.jpeg
    39AC2801-C7F2-4909-B04C-435ACFC118B1.jpeg
    6119FC32-DC8D-4F54-9940-6197E1CFC742.jpeg
    37D9181B-0C29-4A5E-930D-7A49470FA93B.jpeg
    7B51CF61-B343-4B9B-A678-707602A22322.jpeg
    BD8F3931-B3B7-4042-8E58-C3C2DFF65FC5.jpeg
    22C1C62D-B6A6-410F-89B9-01372C7B12FE.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Looks pretty great. I love the glass roof. (I still haven't seen one of these in real life.)

4. silverhippo

silverhippo New Member

I have the base model of this car as well, I think you will like it a lot. It is a great commuter, very easy to park and cargo volume in the back is one of the roomiest I have experienced for its size class. I have hauled everything from a vintage bandsaw, bricks & building supplies to firewood in the back. I actually regret not getting the upgraded trim but oh well!

LegoZ likes this.
  5. LegoZ

LegoZ Active Member

AAAAAAAAND I might be getting another new pack... it's in the shop for crapping out on me with 14 miles and 16% left. Instead of going through the Low Battery --> Low Battery. Charge immediately --> Charge immediately Power limited --> Power limited (turtle), it put up the Power down warning light and flashed the Ready indicator light at me and coasted to a stop.
    IMG_0881.JPG

I pulled it up in SoulSpy and say cell 87 was very low. At the dealer he also noticed the low cell and took it down to less than 10% and charged it all night last night on 120v to bring it back up to 100%, I have not heard the results yet. I know typically pay has to be 70% or less and my is 95.8% SOH at the time of this mess up. So no stinkin clue...
    Screenshot_20200429-145918.png

6. Thanks for the update, even if it's not the happiest situation.

So, I guess before this there was no indication something might be wrong?

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. LegoZ

LegoZ Active Member

Well I was trying to find out if one of the free CHAdeMO chargers were slow or if there was a problem with the car and I bought a Bluetooth OBD II reader and used SoulSPY to check into things and noted the low cell, but then went on to charge later at an EVGO with no apparent slowness so wrote it off. So I had doubts about overall health of what I understood was a recently replaced battery. I also had had the battery about that low in the past, but this day was different, I was having a bad day and went out driving and was driving a little more aggressively than normal.

Domenick likes this.
  9. LegoZ

LegoZ Active Member

Just heard back getting a new battery, so good news/bad news, she said as quick as a week or up to 6 months.

Mattsburgh, Domenick and electriceddy like this.
  10. LegoZ

LegoZ Active Member

Oh and as noted in the Clarity has a friend thread I might drive this more than the Clarity, I do I stole it as primary car and the Clarity sits a bunch lol.

Last edited: May 7, 2020
  11. Sounds like good news to me, even if an additional wait is in your future as a warranty replacement:)

Mattsburgh and LegoZ like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. LegoZ

LegoZ Active Member

It is, it just sucks that it will be on pack number two south of 40k miles.
    Also, I combined the story behind my path to plug-in electrification under Clarity, Soul and Solar

Domenick likes this.
  14. Wow. It's great that they could give you such a narrow time target. ;)
    So, as you mention, this will be two packs in under 40,000 miles. Do you think you will keep it or maybe move on to something newer and (probably) more robust, battery-wise?

LegoZ likes this.
  15. LegoZ

LegoZ Active Member

I did not suffer the impact from the first failures of the car, so I'll keep it for sure, for now. I am more concerned though about going past the 5/60 basic warranty and also concerned with the fact that the infotainment system was only covered by a 3/36 warranty as it is supposedly north of 2k to replace!

Domenick likes this.
  16. That's a pricey infotainment system! Or, at least it strikes me that way. I've never priced one out before. Well depending on how long it takes you to get closer to 5/60, there are a number of new EVs coming over the next year.

LegoZ likes this.
  17. LegoZ

LegoZ Active Member

There are, and great ones at that. When I went to fully charge live I stopped at round rock Kia and test drove the Niro EV and like the Niro EX Hybrid we had before, it was a great car. That being said, I am trying to eliminate payments and 40k on a new ev is a big savings goal lol

Domenick likes this.
  18. I hear ya. The one advantage of there being a number of desirable EVs coming is that the used EV market should expand. Maybe used Bolt EV prices will become reasonable, for instance.

LegoZ likes this.
  19. LegoZ

LegoZ Active Member

If I wanted a GM EV I’d buy a new Honda lol :D
    I will watch for what comes out for sure. I’ve also been watching and thinking about used Tesla’s after riding in a Model S :D

Domenick likes this.
  20. LegoZ

LegoZ Active Member

Well I dropped off the loaner car and the rental I am in a gas guzzling Toyota Corolla. I was able to look at the pack opened up so that was cool. Turns out cell 87 was 3.8v and all others were ~4.1v SOH was still 95.8%. The battery has been ordered so the wait begins.

Domenick likes this.
  21. Note that they are actually cell pairs (parallel), if one cell goes belly up , it will tend to drag down the adjacent as well. Here is some pretty informative info on the layout:
    https://www.mykiasoulev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=662&sid=daf544c9fea633803e9cd77255148ed0
    I also had a very low cell pair on my 16 Leaf (according to Leafspy and was on the border of premature turtle (somewhere around 250mv IIRC differential). Of course Nissan would not accept any acknowledgement of battery warranty issues via 3rd party software thus unless error codes or proven extreme range decrease occurred.
    Traded it in for $8K less than I paid for it after 3 years on my Kona EV, and haven't looked back since.:)

Mattsburgh and LegoZ like this.
  22. LegoZ

LegoZ Active Member

From what I saw though in SoulSpy that didn't appear to have happened on mine for some reason:
    [​IMG]

23. LegoZ

LegoZ Active Member

I GOT IT BACK YESTERDAY!!!

Mattsburgh, Domenick and electriceddy like this.