Navigation system with map update

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by KonaTom, Jun 4, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Just FYI, last time I made the update (downloaded myself) I had some kind of error message too. I just reset the system and tried again and then it worked. You might want to give it a second try. I couldn't figure out what was wrong, neither do I remember the exact error.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

Yeah, I tried a 2nd time, and got the same error message. I don't expect to hear back from MnSOFT today - I have plenty of other outdoor projects to keep me occupied.

Esprit1st likes this.
  4. Just curious-did they charge $ for the new card or was it free?

5. He just tried to install it twice using the same sd card.

6. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

Correct - used the same card twice. Not sure what MnSOFT will do - the guy suggested that shipping a new card is one possibility, but their tech people will look at it. On Monday, I assume. Eventually I would have a download option, and can re-download the thing.

There are two parts to it - one is the software update. If that's screwed up, it could brick the whole thing, but typically manufacturers go to lengths to validate the files before attempting to actually install them. The second part is just the map data.

Just for fun, I put the card in my PC, and windows complained that it was corrupt, and offered to "fix" it for me. That could be a part of the problem. Even if Windows "fixes" it, I can't guarantee that something else isn't wrong with it, so I am going to sit tight.

Esprit1st likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. ehatch

ehatch Active Member

This is the newest update for the maps,and firmware rolled into one? I take it Hyundai can't OTA it,avoiding corrupted SD,or even the terrible MnSOFT website download experience I had last year. Thanks for being the guinea pig on the SD.
    @Esprit1st I was worried if I kept downloading the MnSOFT version it could brick the infotainment,Kona.

No one's experiencing the spinning circle I uploaded here upon NAV. start?It's consistent

9. Do you mind me asking if you have any news on that? Was their support helpful? I tried to see if there was any news on the website in Canada and it doesn't show the option to buy the memory stick anymore. I guess they had problems with the current one that was being delivered...

10. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

The first line of support was helpful, but only to the point where they asked for pictures of some things so they could verify some things. But I haven't heard a word since then.

11. Got my USB Stick today but I think I'll wait until someone has a successful update as there is no old SD card to fall back on (MY2020). Unless I get really bored this weekend :)

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. So you actually got a usb thumb drive that will go into the cars USB connector?

Just asking because lots of people were unsure how the update process will work on the 2020 model.

14. Yup. I decided I would do the first update with their media instead of downloading and building my own stick. Additionally, I'm hoping that it may be useful if a future update fails. Something to fall back on... maybe.

Esprit1st likes this.
  15. Well... got bored so I decided to do the update. Turned out to be painless. Didn't loose any data that had accumulated, I.e. previous destinations, etc. Took 40 minutes.

IMG_5104.jpeg

IMG_5105.jpeg

ehatch and electriceddy like this.
  16. That distance seems so much longer with that wide screen :D
    Good to see no hiccups.

17. ehatch

ehatch Active Member

For 2019 models, MnSoft said their mid May forecast for an update may be delayed due to COVID-19 to July. I hope it fixes my nav.crashing upon startup[posted prev.].

For those who download it for themselves.Hope it's as easy as it was for @hwitten 2020 Kona.

18. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

I was starting to get annoyed that I hadn't heard back about the issue I had with the SD card that I got last week. Now I am curious about what issues they are running into..

19. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

They tell me that a replacement SD card is in the mail and will arrive today sometime..

20. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

Update success. They want the old sd card back - not that I care that much, but it amuses me that they ask.

You can now filter chargers. This was a peeve of mine with the old software. And the list of chargers says AC or DC. That's a nice change too.

I am not getting any real time charger status. Maybe that comes over FM radio? Who knows.
    1589228472706.jpeg 1589228544300.jpeg

electriceddy and rfg81 like this.
  21. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

I had to drive back into the city today, and I was playing with the list of charging stations as I went. I had already saved a bunch of stations as "favorites", but it wasn't until I was physically within a few miles did I start to see indications of whether they were available or not. Otherwise it just showed "unknown".

I still suspect that the realtime info goes over FM radio - my previous car got traffic info from that data source, and there are certain "dead zones" where you basically get no info. Once I get out of that same dead zone, then things start to show useful status.

22. Members here had previously told me that traffic updates come via HD radio. Perhaps charging info comes the same way?

XtsKonaTrooper likes this.
  23. Neither the option to buy nor the download option are available at this time for the Kona 2020 Ultimate in Canada.