Feedback requested from those using Honda Hack and FLAC

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Cash Traylor, Apr 1, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Cash Traylor

Cash Traylor Well-Known Member

Greetings,

If you have installed Honda Hack, and upgraded to 5.1.3 (out first week of March) would you mind checking if you can play FLAC files from your USB drive. FLAC is lossless music files (unlike MP3) it is free so you can rip to it from CD or grab a couple test files off the web if you don't have any. This is an audiophile thing, most cannot tell the difference between high bitrate MP3 and FLAC on car stereos but this is just a test to see if you "can." codeage added FLAC to 5.1.3 for Civic and CR-V but I don't think he has access to a test Clarity. I have added lots of audio mods to my Clarity (as anyone following my other threads knows) and I want to make sure that my "affirmative" isn't related to a possible underlying codec installed.

So if you have done Honda Hack, check the version, if it is less than 5.1.3 (5.1.10 is lower) then when connected to wifi go to your Install Applications Online and download the new version of HH. At least for me, the "check for updates" has never worked. Once you have installed it, reboot etc, then test with a FLAC file from the factory music player. If you have downloaded an extra audio player program that plays FLAC, that may result in a false positive.

Also, I don't think it matters but what year model and trim?

If this works and you get FLAC now, would you please report in? Thank you, Cash

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Cash Traylor

Cash Traylor Well-Known Member

Ahh the sound of crickets in a FLAC file are soooo, realistic!

4. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I was going to ask if I should re-record all my old albums in FLAC. Then I realized I hadn't listened to the MP3s on the memory stick in our Clarity since a trip we took last August, so why bother? I'm always listening to NPR.

Still, I enjoy reading what people, especially you, @Cash Traylor, are able to do to make the Clarity PHEV's sound system better. I'm amazed to read what improvements can be accomplished with only software. Perhaps if I hadn't put a big amp in my 1986 Honda CRX Si, my hearing would still be good enough to detect the difference between MP3 and FLAC encoding.

Cash Traylor likes this.