E-Tron Range

Discussion in 'e-tron' started by David Green, Aug 27, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. David Green

David Green Well-Known Member

We have taken 5 road trips in our E-tron so far and each time the car has exceeded the EPA rated range, but Sunday we reached a new family record. We went from Seattle E on I-90 to Ellensburg for lunch meeting and back, drove a total of 214 miles and got home with 43 miles of range 17% SOC remaining. We drove with traffic 55-75 MPH through the mountains, and even left the climate control running while we ate lunch to keep the car cool because we were worried about putting our baby back in a hot car. The E-Tron has completely exceeded out expectation on range for highway trips ( we live in a hilly area), and I have a hard time understanding how the EPA came up with 204 miles? I see other reports on the E-Tron forum of people getting 250-270 miles on a charge, in longer, more optimal drives. We have only noticed abnormally high consumption when taking short trips to the grocery store, (2-10 mile trips) and I wonder if this is caused by battery conditioning? All in all after the first couple months the E-Tron has exceeded our expectations, especially on range.

TheDave, Rajeshwar Rao and Sandroad like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Bill Barrett

Bill Barrett New Member

Hello D.G. what size tires are running on your etron? Smaller tires usually give better battery range than larger ones.
    We have the 21" tires and usually see 220 miles when driving around 55MPH. Have noticed the energy consumption is in the 900's Wh/mi when starting out on a drive. It takes almost 10 miles to get the Wh/mi down below 400. So short trips will show lower range.
    If you are seeing 250 miles then your consumption must average down near 332 Wh/mi which is terrific for this vehicle. Best I've seen with the 21" tires was 332 Wh/mi. which equates to 250 miles where the average speed was 43 MPH.
    The Audi app stores statistics on each trip and can be accessed at the bottom of the app "To Statistics". EVs stretch out their range at slower constant speed. Just the opposite of a gas engine car.

4. Sandroad

Sandroad Well-Known Member

The overall diameter of the tire is the same, whether running 19, 20, or 21 inch wheels. The profile of the tire is changed to account for the wheel size. There should be no noticeable difference in mpg when running different size wheel/tire combos, unless one combo is very different in weight or tire pressure.

ICE vehicles get better mpg (range) at slower constant speeds too. Reducing wind resistance, keeping the ICE in the best power band, and not accelerating/braking at a constant speed is perfect for the best ICE vehicle mpg (range), just as it is best for EV range.

Domenick likes this.
  5. Bill Barrett

Bill Barrett New Member

Take a look at https://teslike.com/ specifically the Model X range for 20" Vs 22" wheels to see the difference in range. Notice the difference is greater at slower speeds where aerodynamic drag is less of a factor.
    The reason for the difference in range is, the amount of energy it takes to spin a wheel is exponentially proportional to the weight and the distance the axle.
    In this video Jason explains the effort it takes to spin different size wheels. Skip to the 10 minute time to hear his explanation.
    Would like to see the e-tron range using 19" Q7 wheels and a little skinnier tire. The Taycan picks up a lot of range with 225 19" tires. https://insideevs.com/news/440424/porsche-taycan-4s-range-test-great-results/

6. To remove this ad click here.

7. polyphonic

polyphonic Well-Known Member

Traffic really helps. Not just the speed reduction, but having other cars break up the air.

On open 75 mph roads in 65 F weather I am seeing 160-175 miles of range.